我们经常从好莱坞大片中看见FBI的身影,可实际上美国的警察局是地方的,是地方执法部门,它并不归美国联邦政府管,因此地方警察局的权限主要是维护地方治安。当然警察局这个地方也没什么可怕的。如果有必要,还可以带小孩子进去参观,以了解更多的安全知识。
Good morning officer, I need to file a complaint. 早上好,警官,我要投诉。
如果是针对具体的某个人:
·Hello officer, could I file a complaint against John? 你好,警官,我能对约翰提出申诉吗?
·Officer, I need to file a complaint about our neighbors. 警官,我要投诉我的邻居。
那些警察同志经常会回答:
·Sure, just fill out this form for me. 好的,填写这个表格就行。
Hello officer, could I sign up for a parking pass at my college? 你好,警官,我能登记一张校园停车证吗?
你还可以说明原因:
·Hey there, I go to Edinboro University and I need a parking permit. 你好,我要去艾丁波尔大学,我需要一张停车证。
警察同志一般会这样要求你:
·Sure, let me see your driver's license and registration please. 好的,请给我看看你的驾驶证和行车证。
parking pass 停车证
parking permit 停车证
registration[ˌredʒɪ'streɪʃn] n. 登记,注册( driver's registratio. 行车证)
I need to pay a ticket I got last week. 我要付一张上周的交通罚款单。
交罚款单:
·I got a parking ticket last week and I need to pay it. 我上周有一张违规停车罚单,我来处理它。
·I got a traffic violation the other day and it said to come in here and pay it. 我前天有一张交通违规单,据说是来这里缴费。
警察会很乐意的:
·No problem, just sign here. 没问题,在这里签字吧。
violation[ˌvaɪə'leɪʃn] n. 违反,违规
Hello, I'm here to make a payment on my fine. 你好,我来这里交罚款。
你还可以这么说:
·Good morning, I need to make a payment on my ticket fine. 早上好,我有一张罚款单要支付。
警察一般会让你填一张单子:
·Ok, just fill this out for me. 好的,把这个填了给我就行。
make a payment 付款,支付
fine[faɪn] n. 罚款,罚金
Hello officer, I need to report someone missing. 你好,警官,我要报案,有人走失了。
向警察报案:
·Officer, I haven't seen or heard from my close friend in a week. I need to make a report. 警官,我已经有一周没看到也没听到我好朋友的消息了,我要报案。
警察询问具体信息:
·I'm sorry to hear that. What was his or her name? 听到这消息我很难过,他或她叫什么名字?
K=Kevin=凯文 O=Officer=警官
K: Hello officer, I'm here to pay my parking ticket.
K: 你好,警官,我来这里交违规停车罚款。
O: No problem. May I have your license number and 15 dollars please?
O: 没问题,请给我你的驾照号码和15美元好吗?
K: Sure, let me go and get the license plate number for you.
K: 好的, 我去把车牌号拿来给你。
(Kevin leaves to record his plate number)
(凯文去记录车牌号)
K: Here you go.
K: 给你。
O: Alright, let me just put in your info.
O: 好的,我来输入你的信息。
K: Do you guys get a lot of parking tickets a day?
K: 你们一天要开出很多违规停车罚款单吗?
O: Oh, more than you would believe.
O: 哦,比你想象的还多。
K: (Laughs)Yikes, I'm sure you've seen quite a few angry people today.
K: (笑)哎呀,我肯定你今天见过不少愤怒的人吧。
O: More than a few!
O: 比不少还多!
(Kevin and the offcer laugh)
(凯文和警官都笑了)
O: Alright, you're all set. Have a great night.
O: 好了,都办好了,祝你有个愉快的夜晚。
K: You too.
K: 你也一样。
info['ɪnfəʊ] n. 资料
quite a few 不少,相当多
在美国,警察其实不太受人民喜爱。因为任何事件警察都需要走审查程序,一个程序走下来会很久,因此,一般性事件美国人是不报警的。对于留美的学生来说,手机里需要有三个号码,一个是美国最亲近朋友的号码,一个是警察局号码,最后一个是大使馆或领事馆号码(大城市)。出入警察局的人除了罪犯外,其他的多是被贴了罚单的百姓,他们需要按时交罚金。除此之外,一般学校内会有警察局驻点,晚上警车会在学校周边巡逻,如果很晚在学校里溜达,有可能会被警察检查证件,因此学校ID要随身携带。