day after day 日复一日;连续地
Day after day she waited in vain for him to telephone her.
日复一日,她徒劳地等待他的电话。
Day after day went by and still no message arrived.
日子一天天过去,仍然没有得到消息。
He was doing the same thing day after day.
他天天做同样的事。
day and night 日日夜夜
He worked hard day and night.
他日夜努力工作。
He is busy with his work day and night.
他日夜忙于自己的工作。
The mother cared for the sick child day and night.
母亲日夜照料着生病的孩子。
day by day 一天天,逐日
Day by day she learnt more about her job.
她日益了解自己的工作了。
Her health was improving day by day.
她的健康逐渐好转。
It is getting warmer day by day.
天气一天天暖和起来。
day off 放假,假日,不用上班(或学习等)的日子
Can I have a day off?
我能请一天假吗?
I'll ask my boss if I can have a day off.
我要问一下老板我能不能请一天假。
I am so tired.If only I can take the day off tomorrow.
我太累了。如果明天能不上班多好。
dead end 尽头,困境
With the failure of the experiment, we had reached a dead end.
试验失败了,我们一筹莫展。
We've come to a dead end in our talks.
我们的谈判已陷入僵局。
Don't get stuck in a dead end job.
别困在没有前途的工作里。
★ failure['feɪljə(r)]n.失败
★ get stuck in 进退维谷,陷入
dead letter 死信,无法投递的邮件;形同虚设的规定
This is a dead letter, so I cannot deliver it.
这是一封死信,我没法投递。
This law has become a dead letter.
此法已成为一纸空文。
The will itself is made a dead letter.
遗嘱本身成了一纸空文了。
★ will[wɪl]n.遗嘱
deal in 经营;忙于某事物,沉溺于某事物
My bank deals in stocks and shares now.
我们银行现在经营债券与股票。
We deal in hardware but not software.
我们只经营硬件而不经营软件。
As a scientist, I do not deal in speculation.
作为一名科学家,我不投机取巧。
★ stock[stɔk]n.公债,股份
★ share[ʃeə(r)]n.股,股份
★ speculation['spekju'leɪʃn]n.投机活动
deal with 与……交涉,交易;处理,应付;关于
They try to deal politely with angry customers.
他们尽量对发怒的顾客彬彬有礼。
I hate dealing with large impersonal companies.
我讨厌与那些没有人情味的大公司打交道。
You dealt with an awkward situation very tactfully.
你很巧妙地处理了一个困难的局面。
★ politely[pə'laɪtli]adv.温和地,礼貌地
★ impersonal[ɪm'pɜːsənl]adj.冷淡的,没有人情味的
★ awkward['ɔːkwəd]adj.造成困难、尴尬或不 便的
★ tactfully['tæktfəli]adv.圆滑地
decide on 下决心,决定
Have you decided on a date for the wedding?
你已经决定婚礼的日期了吗?
Don't decide on important matters too quickly.
不要过于匆忙地对重要的事情作决定。
I decided on buying the new car.
我决定要买这辆新车。
decide to do 决定做……
She decided not to go alone.
她决定不单独去。
He decided to get married.
他决定结婚。
That decided me to leave my job.
那件事使我决定离职。
depend on/upon 依靠,依赖;确信,信赖
I'm depending on your coming.
我肯定你会来的。
You can't depend on the train arriving on time.
千万不要认为这列火车能正点到达。
She's a woman who can be depended on.
她是个可以信赖的人。
devoted to 专心于……,致力于……
She is devoted to her studies.
她专心于她的学习。
He was at one time so devoted to piano playing.
他曾经那么沉迷于弹钢琴。
He was still devoted to the study of chemistry.
他仍专心致力于化学研究。
★ chemistry['kemɪstrɪ]n.化学
die away 熄灭;消失;平息,淡化
The noise of the car died away in the distance.
汽车的声音消失在远方。
The breeze has died away.
微风渐渐止住了。
The sound of the footsteps faded away.
脚步声渐渐消失了。
★ distance['dɪstəns]n.距离,间距
★ breeze[briːz]n.微风
★ fade away 逐渐消失
die down 减少,减弱
These rumours will soon die down.
这些谣言不久就会逐渐消失。
The fire is dying down.
火正渐渐熄灭。
Plants often die down in winter.
草木往往冬天枯死。
★ rumour['ruːmə(r)]n.传闻,谣言
die from 因……而死
The patient finally died from cancer.
那位病人最终死于癌症。
The plants died from lack of water.
这些植物因缺水而死。
He died from a traffic accident.
他死于交通事故。
die of 因……而死
The animals died of starvation in the snow.
在下雪的时候这些动物死于饥饿。
Nowadays many people die of cancer.
现在有很多人死于癌症。
She died of a heart attack.
她死于心脏病。
★ starvation[stɑː'veɪʃən]n.饥饿,饿死
★ heart attack 心脏病
die out 消失;消灭,死绝
The old traditions are dying out.
旧传统正在消失。
Many languages are likely to die out.
许多语言可能会消失。
The wild population of koalas is in danger of dying out.
野生的树袋熊正处于灭绝的危险中。
★ tradition[trə'dɪʃn]n.传统
★ koala[kəu'ɑːlə]n.考拉熊,树袋熊
★ in danger 在危险中
differ with 与……意见 不同
I'm sorry to differ with you on that.对不起,在那一点上我与你看法不同。
I differ with him on this point.
在这一点上我和他的意见相左。
I beg to differ with you on this matter.
请允许我在这件事上跟您意见分歧。
dispose of 解决,处理;除去,扔掉;转让或卖掉
All the furniture has been disposed of.
所有的家具都已处理掉了。
I must dispose of the trouble.
我必须摆脱麻烦。
I am still not sure how best to dispose of the shares.
我还不确定怎样最大利润地卖掉股份。
★ furniture['fɜːnɪtʃə(r)]n.家具
distinct from 种类(风格)不同
This is distinct from what was discussed above.
这与上面所讨论的是不同的。
Mozart's style is quite distinct from Haydn's.
莫扎特在风格上与海顿截然不同。
Those two ideas are quite distinct from each other.
这两种观点截然不同。
distract from 使从……分心
The film managed to distract me from these problems for a while.
这部影片分散了我的注意力,让我暂时忘记了这些难题。
The noise outside makes me distract from reading.
外面的喧闹声使我不能专心看书。
You're distracting me from my work.
你让我不能专心工作。
divide into 分成
The book is divided into six sections.
这本书被分为六个部分。
The river divides into two streams at this point.
这条河在此处分成两条支流。
Divide the cake into quarters and share it equally.
把蛋糕分成四份,大家平均享用。
do good 做好事;有益于
He is willing to do good for his classmates.
他乐意为同学做好事。
It is difficult for you to do good all your life.
一辈子做好事很难。
Exercise will do good to your health.
锻炼将对你的健康有益。
do over 重做;重新装饰
The paintwork is beginning to flake;it'll need doing over soon.
油漆已成片脱落,需要赶快重新上漆。
They are going to do over our apartments in the spring.
他们将在春天来翻修我们这一组房间。
My sums were wrong and I had to do them over.
我的总数错了,只好再算一遍。
★ paintwork['peɪntwɜːk]n.油漆
do up 固定住;包住或捆扎;修理,重新装饰
This skirt does up at the back.
这条裙子是在后面系扣的。
She was carrying a parcel of books done up in brown paper.
她提一个棕色的纸包,里面是书。
If we decide to buy the cottage we'll have to do it up.
我们若决定购买这座别墅,就得重新进行装修。
★ parcel['pɑːsl]n.包裹
do with 处理;忍受;对待;表示需要或希望得到某事物
What have you done with my umbrella?
你把我的伞放在哪儿去了?
I can't do with his insolence.
我忍受不了他那傲慢无礼的态度。
You look as if you could do with a good night's sleep.
你看来似乎需要好好睡上一夜。
★ umbrella[ʌm'brelə]n.伞
★ insolence['ɪntsələns]n.傲慢,无礼
do without 省去,无需
He can't do without a secretary.
他不能没有秘书。
If we can't afford a car, we'll just have to do without.
我们要是买不起汽车,也就只好不用了。
I could have done without being woken up at 3 o'clock in the morning.
其实不用在清晨3点钟就把我叫醒吧。
draw back 退缩;收回;取消
Everyone draws back in alarm.
每个人都惊慌而后退。
At the sight of a mouse, she draws back in horror.
她一看见老鼠,就吓得连连退缩。
He will not draw back from what he has promised.
他允诺过的事是不会取消的。
★ horror['hɔrə(r)]n.恐怖,恐惧
draw up 起草,拟订;停下来
We'll notify her to draw up a contract.
我们将通知她起草一份合同。
Draw up a list of all the things you want to do.
把你想做的所有事情拟一个单子。
The taxi drew up outside the house.
出租车停在房子外面。
★ contract['kɔntrækt]n.合同
dream on 痴心妄想
So you want a rise?Dream on!
那么说你想加薪?做梦去吧!
You think I'm going to help you move house?Dream on!
你觉得我会去帮你搬家?痴心妄想吧!
You want to be mayor?Dream on!
你想当市长?别做梦了!
dream up 设计,想出,编造
We need to dream up a marketing plan for our product.
我们需要为我们的产品设想出一个市场计划。
Trust you to dream up a crazy scheme like this!
亏你想得出这种异想天开的计划!
I wonder what excuse they will dream up tomorrow.
我想知道他们明天会想出什么借口。
★ scheme[skiːm]n.计划,方案
dress up 打扮,装饰
Children love dressing up.
孩子们都喜欢化装打扮。
You do not need to dress up for dinner.
你们不必特意盛装赴宴。
Don't bother to dress up—come as you are.
用不着穿讲究衣服,就穿平常的衣服来吧。
drink in 吸收;看得或听得出神
Now young people drink in knowledge from books.
现在年轻人从书中吸取知识。
They stood drinking in the beauty of the landscape.
他们站在那儿尽情欣赏美景。
For a moment she just sat there, drinking in the atmosphere.
那一刻她就坐在那儿,完全陶醉在那种氛围中。
★ knowledge['nɔlɪdʒ]n.知识
★ landscape['lændskeɪp]n.风景,景色
★ atmosphere['ætməsfɪə(r)]n.气氛
drink up 喝光
Drink up your milk.
把你的牛奶喝完。
Drink up, there's time for another.干了吧,还有时间再来一杯。
Drink up and we'll hurry home.干了吧,然后咱们赶快回家。
drive away 赶走,开走
He was cruel because he wanted to drive me away.
他很残忍,因为他想把我赶走。
Bill waved his hand to us and then drived away.
比尔向我们挥手告别后开车走了。
How can I drive away these feelings of sadness?
我该怎样做才能驱散忧伤?
★ cruel[kruəl]adj.残暴的,残忍的
drive up to 靠近
We finally drove up to a gas station.
我们最后驶近加油站。
I will drive up to London to see a friend of mine.
我要开车去伦敦,看我的一个朋友。
We just drive up to that door over there.
我们只要把车子开到那扇门那儿。
drop by/in/on/into 顺路拜访
Drop by some time.
有空就顺便来坐坐。
Why don't you drop in for a drink one evening?
你为什么不找个晚上顺便过来喝一杯呢?
Sorry we're late—we dropped into a pub on the way.
对不起我们迟到了,我们中途到酒馆去了。
drop off 让……下车;下降,减少;打盹儿,打瞌睡
Could you drop me off near the post office?
你可以让我在邮局附近下车吗?
Traffic has dropped off since the by-pass opened.
自从辅助道路通车后,这条路上来往车辆已经减少了。
I dropped off and missed the end of the film.
我打了个盹儿,把影片的结尾给错过了。
drop out 退出,脱离;辍学
If you do not like the idea, drop out.
如果你不赞成这个计划,你可以退出。
Why did you drop out in the middle of the marathon?
为什么你在马拉松赛跑中中途退出?
You'd be crazy to drop out.
你要退学真是发疯了。
★ marathon['mærəθən]n.马拉松赛跑
drop sb. a line 给某人留便条
Drop me a line to say when you're coming.
给我写条短信告诉我你来的时间。
Remember to drop me a line as soon as possible.
记着尽快给我写信。
Drop me a line when you are free.
有空时给我写条短信。
dry out 变干;戒酒
Your clothes will take ages to dry out.
你的衣服要很长时间才能干透。
Don't leave the bread on the table;it will dry out.
别把面包放在桌子上,它会干掉的。
The doctor asked the drinker to dry out.
医生要那个酒徒戒掉酒瘾。
dry up 使变干;干涸;住口
Shall I dry up these glasses?
我要把这些玻璃杯擦干吗?
If foreign aid dries up, the situation will be desperate.
倘若外援枯竭,形势将极为严重。
Dry up and listen to me.住嘴,听我说。
★ desperate['despərət]adj.极严重的,极危险的
due to 由于,因为
He was late due to the very heavy traffic.
他迟到是因为交通拥堵。
His successes were largely due to luck.
他的成功主要靠运气。
The accident was due to her negligence.
这次事故是因她疏忽所致。
dwell on 细想,详述
Let's not dwell on your past mistakes.
我们不要再细说你过去的错误了。
That is not a subject I want to dwell on.
那不是我想要详谈的主题。
We will not dwell on that matter any longer.
我们将不再多想这件事了。