购买
下载掌阅APP,畅读海量书库
立即打开
畅读海量书库
扫码下载掌阅APP

第二章 叶尔莫莱和磨坊老板娘2

We explained to him what we wanted. He went to consult the master of the house, and returned with him. The little side gate creaked. The miller appeared, a tall, fat—faced man with a bull—neck, round—bellied and corpulent. He agreed to my proposal. A hundred paces from the mill there was a little outhouse open to the air on all sides. They carried straw and hay there for us; the workman set a samovar down on the grass near the river, and, squatting on his heels, began to blow vigorously into the pipe of it. The embers glowed, and threw a bright light on his young face. The miller ran to wake his wife, and suggested at last that I myself should sleep in the cottage; but I preferred to remain in the open air. The miller's wife brought us milk, eggs, potatoes and bread. Soon the samovar boiled, and we began drinking tea. A mist had risen from the river; there was no wind; from all round came the cry of the corn—crake, and faint sounds from the mill—wheels of drops that dripped from the paddles and of water gurgling through the bars of the lock. We built a small fire on the ground. While Yermolai was baking the potatoes in the embers, I had time to fall into a doze. I was waked by a discreetly—subdued whispering near me. I lifted my head; before the fire, on a tub turned upside down, the miller's wife sat talking to my huntsman. By her dress, her movements, and her manner of speaking, I had already recognised that she had been in domestic service, and was neither peasant nor city—bred; but now for the first time I got a clear view of her features. She looked about thirty; her thin, pale face still showed the traces of remarkable beauty; what particularly charmed me was her eyes, large and mournful in expression. She was leaning her elbows on her knees, and had her face in her hands. Yermolai was sitting with his back to me, and thrusting sticks into the fire.

我们向他说明了我们要什么。他就去和老板商量了一下,然后和老板一同出来了。小侧门嘎吱一声开了。磨坊老板露面了,他个子高高的,脸肥肥的,脖子又短又粗,肚子又圆圆的,一副发福的样子。他同意了我的请求。在离磨坊一百步的地方,有一间四面通风的小敞篷。他们把麦秆和干草给我们送到那里;那个雇工把一个茶炊放在河边的草地上,然后蹲坐在脚后跟上,开始用力地吹生火的筒子。火苗闪烁着,照亮了他年轻的面庞。磨坊老板跑去叫醒了他老婆,最后提出,我自己可以进屋去睡,但我宁愿待在露天地里。磨坊老板娘给我们送来了牛奶、鸡蛋、土豆和面包。茶炊很快就烧开了,我们也开始喝起茶来。河面上升起了雾气,天空中没有一丝的风;周围都是秧鸡的叫声,还有从水车轮那边传来的微弱的声音,水滴从轮叶上滴下来,水又从闸门的栏杆处汩汩地流过去。我们在地上生了一小堆篝火。叶尔莫莱在木块上烤着土豆,我乘机打了个盹。我被附近的一阵低声细语给惊醒了。我抬头一看,磨坊老板娘正坐在篝火前一只倒扣着的木桶上,与我的猎伴聊天。我之前就通过她的衣着、举止和谈吐看出她曾当过仆人,她不是农妇,也不是小市民,不过直到现在,我才头一次看清了她的容貌。她看上去有三十来岁,消瘦白皙的脸上仍有当年非凡美貌的风韵,而最令我着迷的是她那双忧郁的大眼睛。她把双肘支在膝上,双手托着脸。叶尔莫莱背对着我坐着,不时地往火里添些柴火。

"They've the cattle—plague again at Zheltonhiny, " the miller's wife was saying; "father Ivan's two cows are dead—Lord have mercy on them!”

“热尔图希纳的牲畜又闹瘟疫了,” 磨坊老板娘说道, “牧师伊万家的两头母牛死了……上帝保佑他们啊!”

"And how are your pigs doing? " asked Yermolai, after a brief pause.

短暂的一阵沉默后,叶尔莫莱问道: “你们家的猪怎么样?”

"They're alive.”

“它们都活着呢。”

"You ought to make me a present of a sucking pig. "

“你应该送给我一头小猪崽作为礼物。”

The miller's wife was silent for a while, then she sighed.

磨坊老板娘沉默了一会儿,然后叹了口气。

"Who is it you're with? " she asked.

“和您一起来的是谁啊?” 她问道。

"A gentleman from Kostomarovo. "

“是柯斯托马罗夫来的老爷。”

Yermolai threw a few pine twigs on the fire; they all caught fire at once, and a thick white smoke came puffing into his face.

叶尔莫莱往火里扔了几根松树枝,它们马上就都着了起来,一股浓浓的白烟朝他的脸扑了过来。

"Why didn't your husband let us into the cottage?”

“你丈夫为什么不让我们进屋去?”

"He's afraid.”

“他害怕。”

"Afraid! the fat old tub! Arina Timofyevna, my darling, bring me a little glass of spirits. '

“害怕!那老肥桶!亲爱的阿丽娜•季莫费叶夫娜,给我拿一小杯酒来吧。”

The miller's wife rose and vanished into the darkness. Yermolai began to sing in an undertone—

磨坊老板娘站了起来,消失在了黑暗中。叶尔莫莱开始轻声地哼起歌来:

"When I went to see my sweetheart, I wore out all my shoes. "

“我去见情人啊,鞋子都磨破啦。”

Arina returned with a small flask and a glass. Yermolai got up, crossed himself, and drank it off at a draught. "Good! " was his comment.

阿丽娜拿着小酒瓶和杯子回来了。叶尔莫莱站了起来,在胸前画了个十字,一口就把酒喝干了。他还称赞道: “真棒!”

The miller's wife sat down again on the tub.

磨坊老板娘又坐到了木桶上。

"Well, Arina Timofyevna, are you still ill? "

“喂,阿丽娜•季莫费叶夫娜,你还是老生病吗?”

"Yes. "

“是啊。”

"What is it? "

“那是怎么回事啊?”

"My cough troubles me at night. "

“我晚上老咳嗽。”

"The gentleman's asleep, it seems, " observed Yermolai after a short silence. "Don't go to a doctor, Arina; it will be worse if you do.”

“看来老爷睡着了。” 叶尔莫莱沉默了一小会儿说, “别去看医生,阿丽娜,要是看了只会更糟。”

"Well, I am not going. "

“好吧,我不去。”

"But come and pay me a visit. "

“那到我家里来玩玩吧。”

Arina hung down her head dejectedly.

阿丽娜沮丧地垂下了头。

"I will drive my wife out for the occasion, " continued Yermolai. "Upon my word, I will. "

“我到时候会把我那婆娘赶出去的,” 叶尔莫莱接着说道, “我说到做到。”

"You had better wake the gentleman, Yermolai Petrovitch; you see, the potatoes are done. "

“您还是把老爷叫醒吧,叶尔莫莱•彼得罗维奇,您瞧,土豆都熟了。”

"Oh, let him snore, " observed my faithful servant indifferently; "he's tired with walking, so he sleeps sound.”

“哦,让他睡儿吧,” 我忠实的仆人漠然地说道, “他走得太累了,所以睡得很香。”

I turned over in the hay. Yermolai got up and came to me. "The potatoes are ready; will you come and eat them? "

我在干草堆上翻了个身。叶尔莫莱站了起来,朝我走了过来。 “土豆烤好了,您过来吃点儿吧?”

I came out of the outhouse; the miller's wife got up from the tub and was going away. I addressed her.

我从敞篷里走了出来,磨坊老板娘从木桶上站了起来,准备离开。我又跟她聊了起来。

"Have you kept this mill long? "

“你们在这磨坊呆了很久么?”

"It's two years since I came on Trinity day.”

“从三一节我来到这里,已经有两年了。”

"And where does your husband come from? "

“你丈夫是哪里人?”

Arina had not caught my question.

阿丽娜没听清我的问题。

"Where's your husband from? " repeated Yermolai, raising his voice.

“你丈夫是什么地方的人?” 叶尔莫莱提高音量,又重复了一遍。

"From Byelev. He's a Byelev townsman.’

“是别廖夫人,他是别廖夫城里的人。”

"And are you too from Byelev? "

“你也是从别廖夫来的?”

"No, I 'm a serf; I was a serf.”

“不是,我是个农奴,我以前是个农奴。”

"Whose? "

“谁家的?”

"Zvyerkoff was my master. Now I am free. '

“兹韦尔科夫曾是我的主人。不过我现在是自由身了。”

"What Zvyerkoff? "

“哪个兹韦尔科夫?”

"Alexandr Selitch. "

“亚历山大•西雷奇。”

"Weren't you his wife's lady's maid?”

“你以前是他夫人的女仆吧?”

"How did you know? Yes. "

“您是怎么知道?没错。”

I looked at Arina with redoubled curiosity and sympathy.

我更加好奇和同情地看着阿丽娜。

"I know your master, " I continued.

“我认识你的主人。” 我接着说道。

"Do you? " she replied in a low voice, and her head drooped.

“是吗?” 她垂下了头低声问道。

I must tell the reader why I looked with such sympathy at Arina. During my stay at Petersburg I had become by chance acquainted with Mr. Zvyerkoff. He had a rather influential position, and was reputed a man of sense and education. He had a wife, fat, sentimental, lachrymose and spiteful—a vulgar and disagreeable creature; he had too a son, the very type of the young swell of to—day, pampered and stupid. The exterior of Mr. Zvyerkoff himself did not prepossess one in his favour; his little mouse—like eyes peeped slyly out of a broad, almost square, face; he had a large, prominent nose, with distended nostrils; his close—cropped grey hair stood up like a brush above his scowling brow; his thin lips were for ever twitching and smiling mawkishly. Mr. Zvyerkoff's favourite position was standing with his legs wide apart and his fat hands in his trouser pockets. Once I happened somehow to be driving alone with Mr. Zvyerkoff in a coach out of town. We fell into conversation. As a man of experience and of judgment, Mr. Zvyerkoff began to try to set me in "the path of truth. "

我必须得告诉读者,为什么我会那么同情地看着阿丽娜。我在彼得堡逗留的时候,碰巧认识了兹韦尔科夫先生。他位高权重,以明理博学闻名。他老婆是个多愁善感的胖女人,很好哭却还很凶——是一个粗俗乖戾的女人;他还有一个儿子,是个典型的公子哥,娇生惯养,还十分愚蠢。兹韦尔科夫先生的外貌并不很讨人喜欢,一张几乎是方形的大脸上长着一双贼溜溜、老鼠般的小眼睛;他的鼻子又大又高,鼻孔很大;愁眉不展的额头上面,那剪短了的斑斑白头发像刷子似的竖着;他薄薄的嘴唇总是抽动着,带着令人作呕的微笑。兹韦尔科夫先最喜欢的站姿是,两腿大大地叉开,再把一双胖手插到裤兜里。有一次,我不知怎么地就碰巧单独和兹韦尔科夫先生坐同一辆马车出城去。我们聊了起来。作为一个见多识广、明辨是非的人,兹韦尔科夫先生开始试着把我引上 “真理之路” 。

"Allow me to observe to you, " he drawled at last; "all you young people criticise and form judgments on everything at random; you have little knowledge of your own country; Russia, young gentlemen, is an unknown land to you; that's where it is!... You are for ever reading German. For instance, now you say this and that and the other about anything; for instance, about the house—serfs.... Very fine; I don't dispute it's all very fine; but you don't know them; you don't know the kind of people they are. " (Mr. Zvyerkoff blew his nose loudly and took a pinch of snuff. )

“请允许我给您指出,” 他最后慢吞吞地说道, “你们这些年轻人,总是随意地去评价批判一切事情,但你们对自己的祖国却了解得很少,对于你们这些年轻的先生来说,俄罗斯就是一片未知的土地,问题也就在这里!……你们老学德国人那一套。比方说,现在您说的这些那些话以及所有其他的,就拿佣人这事来说吧……很好,我要是不争辩的话,什么都很好,但是您不了解他们,您不知道他们是什么样的人。” (兹韦尔科夫先生大声地吹了一下鼻子,吸了一口鼻烟。)

"Allow me to tell you as an illustration one little anecdote; it may perhaps interest you. " (Mr. Zvyerkoff cleared his throat. ) "You know, doubtless, what my wife is; it would be difficult, I should imagine, to find a more kind—hearted woman, you will agree. For her waiting—maids, existence is simply a perfect paradise, and no mistake about it.... But my wife has made it a rule never to keep married lady's maids. Certainly it would not do; children come—and one thing and the other—and how is a lady's maid to look after her mistress as she ought, to fit in with her ways; she is no longer able to do it; her mind is in other things. One must look at things through human nature. Well, we were driving once through our village, it must be—let me be correct—yes, fifteen years ago. We saw, at the bailiff's, a young girl, his daughter, very pretty indeed; something even—you know—something attractive in her manners. And my wife said to me: 'Koko' —you understand, of course, that is her pet name for me— 'let us take this girl to Petersburg; I like her, Koko.... ' I said, " Let us take her, by all means. "The bailiff, of course, was at our feet; he could not have expected such good fortune, you can imagine.... Well, the girl of course cried violently. Of course, it was hard for her at first; the parental home... in fact... there was nothing surprising in that. However, she soon got used to us: at first we put her in the maidservants' room; they trained her, of course. And what do you think? The girl made wonderful progress; my wife became simply devoted to her, promoted her at last above the rest to wait on herself... observe.... And one must do her the justice to say, my wife had never such a maid, absolutely never; attentive, modest, and obedient—simply all that could be desired. But my wife, I must confess, spoilt her too much; she dressed her well, fed her from our own table, gave her tea to drink, and so on, as you can imagine! So she waited on my wife like this for ten years. Suddenly, one fine morning, picture to yourself, Arina—her name was Arina—rushes unannounced into my study, and flops down at my feet. That's a thing, I tell you plainly, I can't endure. No human being ought ever to lose sight of their personal dignity. Am I not right? What do you say? 'Your honour, Alexandr Selitch, I beseech a favour of you. '

“让我给您讲件有意思的小事解释一下吧,也许您会感兴趣。” (兹韦尔科夫先生清了清嗓子。) “您肯定知道我太太是个什么样的人,我觉得要想找到一个比她更善良的女人应该很难,您也赞同吧。她女仆的日子过得简直就像在天堂里一样好,这是毫无疑问的……但是我太太也立了条规矩,绝对不用结了婚的女仆。结了婚的女仆当然是不行的,生孩子啦——一件接一件的事情接踵而来——这怎么能尽职地服侍好女主人、适应女主人的习惯呢,因为这女仆脑子里装的全是其他的事情,就不再能够照顾好女主人了。人应该透过人性看事情。言归正传,我们有一次乘车穿过我们的村子,应该是——让我好好想想——对,十五年以前了。我们在管家家里看到一个小女孩,是他女儿,她确实很漂亮,身上散发着一种,您知道,一种迷人的气息。我太太对我说: ‘科科’ ——您当然能理解,这是她对我的爱称—— ‘我们把这个女孩带回彼得堡吧,我很喜欢她,科科……’ 我说: ‘当然可以,我们就把带她走吧。’ 当然了,那个管家都激动得给我们跪下了,他怎么会想到有这等好事啊,您可以想象一下……那个女孩则大哭了一场。一开始,她肯定是很难接受的,要离开父母的家……事实上……这也并不奇怪。不过,她很快就习惯跟我们呆在一起了:一开始我们把她安排到女佣们的房里,当然了,她们会训练她。您猜后来怎么着?这女孩进步很快,我夫人特别宠爱她,最后只她一个人贴身伺候……看到了吧……公正地讲,我夫人从没有过这样的女仆,绝对没有过,她体贴、谦虚、听话——简直样样都很称人心。但是我承认,我太太实在是太宠她了,给她穿得漂漂亮亮的,和我们吃一样的饭菜,还给她茶喝等等,这些您能想象到的!就这样,她服侍了我夫人十年。突然,一个晴朗的早晨,您自己想象一下,阿丽娜突然——她叫阿丽娜——没禀报就冲进了我的书房,一下子跪在了我的脚边。坦白地说,我受不了这样的事。人在任何时候都不能忘了自己的尊严。对吧?您认为呢? ‘亚历山大•西雷奇老爷,我求求您帮帮忙。’

'What favour? '

‘什么事? '

'Let me be married. ' I must confess I was taken aback. 'But you know, you stupid, your mistress has no other lady's maid?’

‘请允许我嫁人吧。’ 我承认,我被吓到了, ‘但是你也知道,傻姑娘,太太没有别的女佣呀! '

'I will wait on mistress as before. '

‘我还是会像以前一样服侍太太的。’

'Nonsense! Nonsense! Your mistress can't endure married lady's maids.’

‘胡说!胡说!太太受不了结了婚的女佣。’

'Malanya could take my place. '

‘马拉尼娅可以接替我。’

'Pray don't argue.’

‘别再争论了。’

'I obey your will. ' I must confess it was quite a shock, I assure you, I am like that; nothing wounds me so—nothing, I venture to say, wounds me so deeply as ingratitude. I need not tell you—you know what my wife is; an angel upon earth, goodness inexhaustible. One would fancy even the worst of men would be ashamed to hurt her. Well, I got rid of Arina. I thought, perhaps, she would come to her senses; I was unwilling, do you know, to believe in wicked, black ingratitude in anyone. What do you think? Within six months she thought fit to come to me again with the same request. And here I must confess I turned her out in a temper and threatened to tell my wife about it. I felt revolted. But imagine my amazement when, some time later, my wife comes to me in tears, so agitated that I felt positively alarmed. 'What has happened? '

‘我听从您的吩咐。’ 说实话,我惊呆了,我确实是给吓住了,我敢说,没有——没有能比忘恩负义更让我受伤的事了。我不需要再告诉您——您知道我太太是个怎样的人,她是一个落在凡间的天使,永远那么善良。大家都觉得,哪怕是最邪恶的人都以伤害她为耻。唉,我把阿丽娜赶了出去。我想,也许她会醒悟,您知道吗,我有多不情愿去相信会有人这么邪恶,这么忘恩负义。您猜怎么着?过了半年,她觉得是时候了,又为同一件事来找我。在那个时候,我承认我非常生气,把她赶了出去,并吓唬她说要把这件事告诉太太。我很愤怒。但是过了段时间,我太太泪眼婆娑地来找我,她那么激动,把我吓坏了,您能想象到那时我有多吃惊吧。 ‘发生什么事了? '

'Arina.... You understand... I am ashamed to tell it.... ' 'Impossible! …Who is the man?’

‘阿丽娜……您知道……我都不好意思说……’ ‘不是吧……那个男的是谁? '

'Petrushka, the footman. ' My indignation broke out then. I am like that. I don't like half measures! Petrushka was not to blame. We might flog him, but in my opinion he was not to blame. Arina.... Well, well, well! What more's to be said? I gave orders, of course, that her hair should be cut off, she should be dressed in sackcloth, and sent into the country. My wife was deprived of an excellent lady's maid; but there was no help for it: immorality cannot be tolerated in a household in any case. Better to cut off the infected member at once. There, there! now you can judge the thing for yourself—you know that my wife is... yes, yes, yes! indeed!... an angel! She had grown attached to Arina, and Arina knew it, and had the face to... Eh? no, tell me... eh? And what's the use of talking about it. Any way, there was no help for it. I, indeed—I, in particular, felt hurt, felt wounded for a long time by the ingratitude of this girl. Whatever you say—it's no good to look for feeling, for heart, in these people! You may feed the wolf as you will; he has always a hankering for the woods. Education, by all means! But I only wanted to give you an example....”

‘男仆彼得鲁什卡。’ 我那时真是气炸了。我就是那样。我不喜欢折中的办法!彼得鲁什卡没什么错。我们可以去鞭打他,但是我觉得他没什么错。至于阿丽娜嘛……唉,唉,唉!还有什么好说的呢?当然了,我下令把她的头发剪了,给她穿上粗布衣服,把她送到乡下去了。我太太失去了一个很棒的女仆,但这也是没办法的事:一个家庭无论如何也不能容忍那些伤风败俗的行为。最好还是马上把害群之马赶出去。好啦,好啦!现在您就能自己评判一下这事了——您知道,我太太……是的,是的,是的!绝对的!……是一个天使!她越来越依赖阿丽娜了,而阿丽娜也是知道的,可还有脸去……啊?是不是,您说……啊?不过说这些也没什么用了。不管怎样,也没什么办法了。我呢,确实,我也感到特别受伤,为这个丫头的忘恩负义难过了好长时间。不管怎么说,别指望这种人会有感情,有良心!你无论怎么去喂那狼,它还是一心想回树林里去。当然了,这就是个教训!不过我只是想给您举个例子……”

And Mr. Zvyerkoff, without finishing his sentence, turned away his head, and, wrapping himself more closely into his cloak, manfully repressed his involuntary emotion.

兹韦尔科夫先生没有把话讲完,就把头转了过去,用披风把自己裹得更加严密,努力地压制着自己激动的情绪。

The reader now probably understands why I looked with sympathetic interest at Arina.

读者现在大概已经知道,我为什么会那么同情地看着阿丽娜了。

"Have you long been married to the miller? " I asked her at last.

“你嫁给磨坊老板很长时间了吗?” 最后我问她。

"Two years. "

“两年了。”

"How was it? Did your master allow it? "

“怎么回事啊?你主人同意了么?”

"They bought my freedom. "

“有人给我赎了身。”

"Who? "

“谁啊?”

"Savely Alexyevitch. "

“萨韦利•阿列克谢维奇。”

"Who is that? "

“他是谁啊?”

"My husband. " (Yermolai smiled to himself. ) "Has my master perhaps spoken to you of me? " added Arina, after a brief silence.

“我丈夫。” (叶尔莫莱暗自笑了笑。) “难道我老爷跟您说起过我吗?” 短暂的沉默过后,阿丽娜接着问道。

I did not know what reply to make to her question.

我不知道该怎么回答她的问题。

"Arina! " cried the miller from a distance. She got up and walked away.

“阿丽娜!” 磨坊老板在远处叫道。她站了起来走开了。

"Is her husband a good fellow? " I asked Yermolai.

“她丈夫是个好人么?” 我问叶尔莫莱。

"So—so.”

“还行吧。”

"Have they any children? "

“他们有孩子吗?”

"There was one, but it died. "

“以前有过一个,不过已经死了。”

"How was it? Did the miller take a liking to her? Did he give much to buy her freedom? "

“怎么会这样?磨坊老板喜欢她吗?他给她赎身花了不少钱吧?”

"I don't know. She can read and write; in their business it's of use. I suppose he liked her.”

“我也不知道。她会认字和写字,他们做生意用得着。我猜他是喜欢她的吧。”

"And have you known her long? "

“你认识她很久了吗?”

"Yes. I used to go to her master's. Their house isn't far from here.”

“是的。我以前常去她主人家。他们家离这儿不远。”

"And do you know the footman Petrushka? "

“你认识那个叫彼得鲁什卡的男仆吗?”

"Piotr Vassilyevitch? Of course, I knew him. "

“彼得•瓦西利耶维奇吗?当然认得。”

"Where is he now? "

“他现在在哪里呀?”

"He was sent for a soldier. "

“他被送去当兵了。”

We were silent for a while.

接着我们沉默了一阵。

"She doesn't seem well? " I asked Yermolai at last.

“她的身体似乎不大好?” 我最后问叶尔莫莱。

"I should think not! To—morrow, I say, we shall have good sport. A little sleep now would do us no harm.”

“我也认为不好!我觉得,明天我们会满载而归。我们现在最好还是小睡一会儿吧。”

A flock of wild ducks swept whizzing over our heads, and we heard them drop down into the river not far from us. It was now quite dark, and it began to be cold; in the thicket sounded the melodious notes of a nightingale. We buried ourselves in the hay and fell asleep.

一群野鸭嗖嗖地从我们头顶掠过,我们还听到它们落到了离我们不远的那条河里。这时天色漆黑,也开始变凉了,灌木丛里响起了夜莺动听的歌声。我们钻进干草堆里睡着了。

CHAPTER III RASPBERRY SPRING d7vIcnnYaR38gx3YB4JEueZh45S4rF9ovR9a2umB4C7wsCXrAuaopzaUe7xpdx5d

点击中间区域
呼出菜单
上一章
目录
下一章
×