购买
下载掌阅APP,畅读海量书库
立即打开
畅读海量书库
扫码下载掌阅APP

第一幕2

这该死的仆人真让我头痛,每次看到这没用的瘸子,我就来气。真是的,管理好家里这一大笔财富可不是一件省心的事情,最好就是把钱都贷出去,身边仅留够日常生活必不可少的支出就可以了。要在家里选择一个最保险的地方把钱藏起来,还真是难倒我了。别跟我提保险箱,我压根儿就不信那玩意儿。为什么,因为保险箱就是引贼入室的诱饵!

SCENE V. ——HARPAGON, ÉLISE and CLÉANTE are seen talking together at the back of the stage.

第五场——阿巴贡,埃莉斯和克莱昂特在舞台后面说话。

Har.: (thinking himself alone. )Meanwhile, I hardly know whether I did right to bury in my garden the ten thousand crowns which were paid to me yesterday. Ten thousand crowns in gold is a sum sufficiently …(Aside, on perceiving elise and Cleante whispering together)Good heavens! I have betrayed myself; my warmth has carried me away. I believe I spoke aloud while reasoning with myself. (To Cleante and elise)What do you want?

阿巴贡:(独自思考)再说了,我把昨天人家还的一万克朗埋在花园里,不知道够不够安全。要知道,一万克朗的金币可不是一笔小数目……(旁白,看见了埃莉斯和克莱昂特在说悄悄话)哎呀!天啊!我说漏嘴了,这一高兴就忘形了,刚才我说话的声音太大了吧。(对埃莉斯和克莱昂特)你们有事吗?

Cle.: Nothing, father.

克莱昂特:没事,父亲。

Har.: Have you been here long?

阿巴贡:你们在这儿呆了很长时间吗?

Eli.: We have only just come.

埃莉斯:我们刚刚到。

Har.: Did you hear…?

阿巴贡:那你们听到……

Cle.: What, father?

克莱昂特:什么,父亲?

Har.: There…!

阿巴贡:就是……

Cle.: What?

克莱昂特:什么?

Har.: What I was just now saying.

阿巴贡:我刚才说的话。

Cle.: No.

克莱昂特:没有。

Har.: You did. I know you did.

阿巴贡:你们听到了,我知道你们听到了。

Eli.: I beg your pardon, father, but we did not.

埃莉斯:请您原谅,父亲,可我们真的没听到。

Har.: I see well enough that you overheard a few words. The fact is, I was only talking to myself about the trouble one has nowadays to raise any money; and I was saying that he is a fortunate man who has ten thousand crowns in his house.

阿巴贡:我知道你们是无意听到了一部分。事实上,我只是自言自语,说这年头挣点钱太困难了,要是谁家里能有个一万克朗的财产,那他真是太有福气了。

Cle.: We were afraid of coming near you, for fear of intruding.

克莱昂特:我们不敢走过来,是怕打扰到您。

Har.: I am very glad to tell you this, so that you may not misinterpret things, and imagine that I said that it was I who have ten thousand crowns.

阿巴贡:我很愿意向你们澄清这一点,这样你们就不会曲解我的意思,误以为我是在说我藏有那一万克朗。

Cle.: We do not wish to interfere in your affairs.

克莱昂特:我们并不希望干预您的私事。

Har.: Would that I had them, these ten thousand crowns!

阿巴贡:我倒是真希望我有那一万克朗啊!

Cle.: I should not think that …

克莱昂特:我不应该认为那……

Har.: What a capital affair it would be for me.

阿巴贡:这对我来说可是一件大好事。

Cle.: There are things …

克莱昂特:有些事情……

Har.: I greatly need them.

阿巴贡:我真的非常需要这笔钱。

Cle.: I fancy that …

克莱昂特:我觉得……

Har.: It would suit me exceedingly well.

阿巴贡:有了那钱我手头可就宽裕多了。

Eli.: You are …

埃莉斯:您在……

Har.: And I should not have to complain, as I do now, that the times are bad.

阿巴贡:这样一来,我就不用像现在这样满腹牢骚,抱怨自己遇上了坏时代。

Cle.: Hear me, father, you have no reason to complain; and everyone knows that you are well enough off.

克莱昂特:听我说,父亲,您没道理发牢骚,大家都知道您有的是钱。

Har.: How? I am well enough off! Those who say it are liars. Nothing can be more false; and they are scoundrels who spread such reports.

阿巴贡:什么?我有的是钱?!说这话的人都是骗子,这都是假话,而且是一些无赖在散播这种谣言。

Eli.: Don't be angry.

埃莉斯:不要发火。

Har.: It is strange that my own children betray me and become my enemies.

阿巴贡:这真是奇怪,我自己的孩子也背叛我,跟我作对。

Cle.: Is it being your enemy to say that you have wealth?

克莱昂特:难道说您有钱就是跟您作对?

Har.: Yes, it is. Such talk and your extravagant expenses will be the cause that some day thieves will come and cut my throat, in the belief that I am made of gold.

阿巴贡:是,就是跟我作对。这样的流言蜚语,再加上你胡乱花钱,小偷会真的以为我家财万贯,总有一天他们会跑到我们家把我杀了。

Cle.: What extravagant expenses do I indulge in?

克莱昂特:我怎么胡乱花钱了?

Har.: What! Is there anything more scandalous than this sumptuous attire with which you jaunt it about the town? I was remonstrating with your sister yesterday, but you are still worse. It cries vengeance to heaven; and were we to calculate all you are wearing, from head to foot, we should find enough for a good annuity. I have told you a hundred times, my son, that your manners displease me exceedingly; you affect the marquis terribly, and for you to be always dressed as you are, you must certainly rob me.

阿巴贡:什么!你穿着这身奢侈的衣服招摇过市,还有比这更惹是生非的吗?我昨天还为此责备了你妹妹,可你比她还奢侈。这会招来上天报应的。而且算一算你这身打扮,从头到脚,都足够放一年的债了。我已经跟你说过一百遍了,我的孩子,你的做法我一点都不喜欢。你就喜欢侯爵的装扮,为了能穿上这样的衣服,你一定偷了我的钱。

Cle.: Rob you? And how?

克莱昂特:偷您的钱?要怎么偷?

Har.: How should I know? Where else could you find money enough to clothe yourself as you do?

阿巴贡:我怎么知道?你还能从哪里弄到这么多的钱,买这样一身衣服?

Cle.: I, father? I play; and as I am very lucky, I spend in clothes all the money I win.

克莱昂特:从我自己这里,父亲!我赌钱。我手气很好,我用自己赢来的钱买这些衣服。

Har.: It is very wrong. If you are lucky at play, you should profit by it, and place the money you win at decent interest, so that you may find it again some day. I should like to know, for instance, without mentioning the rest, what need there is for all these ribbons with which you are decked from head to foot, and if half a dozen tags are not sufficient to fasten your breeches. What necessity is there for anyone to spend money upon wigs, when we have hair of our own growth, which costs nothing. I will lay a wager that, in wigs and ribbons alone, there are certainly twenty pistoles spent, and twenty pistoles brings in at least eighteen livres six sous eight deniers per annum, at only eight per cent interest.

阿巴贡:这一点都不聪明。如果你真的手气好,你就应该利用它去赚钱,然后放贷出去吃利息,以后连本带利地收回来。我非常想弄清楚,比方说,不说其他的,从头到脚挂这些乱七八糟的丝带有什么用处,难道六根绳子还不够系紧你的裤子。我们都有天生的头发,不花钱,难道还有必要花钱去买假发戴上吗?我敢打赌,这假发加上带子至少得花二十个皮斯托尔,而这些钱以百分之八的利息放贷出去,一年就能获得十八里弗六苏八丹尼尔了。

Cle.: You are quite right.

克莱昂特:您所言极是。

Har.: Enough on this subject; let us talk of something else. (Aside, noticing Cleante and elise, who make signs to one another)I believe they are making signs to one another to pick my pocket. (Aloud)What do you mean by those signs?

阿巴贡:这个话题就说到这里,接下来说点别的吧。(旁白,看到克莱昂特和埃莉斯互相递眼色)他们俩相互打手势一定是想偷我的钱。(高声)你们打手势是什么意思?

Eli.: We are hesitating as to who shall speak first, for we both have something to tell you.

埃莉斯:我和哥哥是在犹豫谁先说,因为我们俩都有事情要跟您说。

Har.: And I also have something to tell you both.

阿巴贡:我正好也有事情跟你们说。

Cle.: We wanted to speak to you about marriage, father.

克莱昂特:我们来是想跟您商量婚事的,父亲。

Har.: The very thing I wish to speak to you about.

阿巴贡:这也是我想要跟你们说的。

Eli.: Ah! my father!

埃莉斯:啊!我的父亲!

Har.: What is the meaning of that exclamation? Is it the word, daughter, or the thing itself that frightens you?

阿巴贡:你大叫什么?女儿,是我说的话,还是这件事让你害怕了?

Cle.: Marriage may frighten us both according to the way you take it; and our feelings may perhaps not coincide with your choice.

克莱昂特:让我们俩害怕的是您怎么看待婚姻这件事,而且担心我们的爱情可能不符合您的标准。

Har.: A little patience, if you please. You need not be alarmed. I know what is good for you both, and you will have no reason to complain of anything I intend to do. To begin at the beginning. (To Cleante)Do you know, tell me, a young person, called Marianne, who lives not far from here?

阿巴贡:请耐心一点。你们没必要这么惊慌。我清楚什么样的人最适合你们,你们也没有理由抱怨我将要为你们做的事。我们从头说起。(对着克莱昂特)告诉我,你知道有一个叫玛丽安娜的姑娘住在我们家附近吗?

Cle.: Yes, father.

克莱昂特:是的,父亲。

Har.: And you?

阿巴贡:你呢?

Eli.: I have heard her spoken of.

埃莉斯:我听说过她。

Har.: Well, my son, and how do you like the girl?

阿巴贡:那么,我的儿子,你觉得这个女孩怎么样?

Cle.: She is very charming.

克莱昂特:她是个惹人爱的女孩。

Har.: Her face?

阿巴贡:她的相貌?

Cle.: Modest and intelligent.

克莱昂特:端庄而且乖巧机灵。

Har.: Her air and manner?

阿巴贡:她的言谈举止?

Cle.: Perfect, undoubtedly.

克莱昂特:当然是无可挑剔。

Har.: Do you not think that such a girl well deserves to be thought of?

阿巴贡:你不认为这样好的女孩值得我们考虑吗?

Cle.: Yes, father.

克莱昂特:当然值了,父亲。

Har.: She would form a very desirable match?

阿巴贡:那这是一桩理想的婚姻吗?

Cle.: Very desirable.

克莱昂特:非常理想。

Har.: That there is every likelihood of her making a thrifty and careful wife.

阿巴贡:她看起来像是能成为一个节俭持家,懂得关怀的妻子。

Cle.: Certainly.

克莱昂特:那是自然。

Har.: And that a husband might live very happily with her?

阿巴贡:那她会让她的丈夫称心如意吗?

Cle.: I have not the least doubt about it.

克莱昂特:这一点我坚信不疑。

Har.: There is one little difficulty; I am afraid she has not the fortune we might reasonably expect.

阿巴贡:不过有一个小小的困难——我担心她没有我们所期望的财富。

Cle.: Oh, my father, riches are of little importance when one is sure of marrying a virtuous woman.

克莱昂特:噢,我的父亲,要是能够娶到一位善良的妻子,财富无关紧要。

Har.: I beg your pardon. Only there is this to be said: that if we do not find as much money as we could wish, we may make it up in something else.

阿巴贡:请原谅我。我只是想说,如果从她那不能得到所期望的钱财,我们可以想别的办法来弥补。

Cle.: That follows as a matter of course.

克莱昂特:那是当然的了。

Har.: Well, I must say that I am very much pleased to find that you entirely agree with me, for her modest manner and her gentleness have won my heart; and I have made up my mind to marry her, provided I find she has some dowry.

阿巴贡:好,我非常高兴你能同意我的想法。她的端庄举止和优雅谈吐征服了我的心,我已经决定要和她结婚,如果我能从中得到点嫁妆。

Cle.: Eh!

克莱昂特:啊!

Har.: What now?

阿巴贡:这次怎么了?

Cle.: You are resolved, you say…?

克莱昂特:您刚才说,您下定决心要……?

Har.: To marry Marianne.

阿巴贡:我要和玛丽安娜结婚。

Cle.: Who? you? you?

克莱昂特:谁?您?您?

Har.: Yes, I, I, I. What does all this mean?

阿巴贡:是的,是我、是我、是我。你这是怎么了?

Cle.: I feel a sudden dizziness, and I must withdraw for a little while.

克莱昂特:我突然感觉有些头昏,我得先离开一会儿。

Har.: It will be nothing. Go quickly into the kitchen and drink a large glass of cold water, it will soon set you all right again.

阿巴贡:这没什么大不了的,赶快去厨房喝上一大杯冷水,一会儿就没事了。

SCENE VI. ——HARPAGON, ÉLISE.

第六场——阿巴贡,埃莉斯。

Har.: There goes one of your effeminate fops, with no more stamina than a chicken. That is what I have resolved for myself, my daughter. As to your brother, I have thought for him of a certain widow, of whom I heard this morning; and you I shall give to Mr. Anselme.

阿巴贡:瞧瞧这些娇生惯养的公子哥儿,还没一只雏鸡壮实呢。女儿啊,这就是我为自己做的决定。至于你的哥哥,我给他物色了一个寡妇,今天早上有人来跟我谈过了。至于你,我把你许配给了安塞尔姆先生。

Eli.: To Mr. Anselme?

埃莉斯:安塞尔姆先生?

Har.: Yes, a staid and prudent man, who is not above fifty, and of whose riches everybody speaks.

阿巴贡:没错,他是一个稳重谨慎的男人,还不到五十岁,人人都说他非常有钱。

Eli.: (curtseying). I have no wish to marry, father, if you please.

埃莉斯:(向父亲鞠躬行礼)我不想结婚,父亲,求求您。

Har.: (imitating elise). And I, my little girl, my darling, I wish you to marry, if you please.

阿巴贡:(模仿埃莉斯的鞠躬礼)可是,我的女儿,我的心肝儿,我想让你结婚,求你了。

Eli.: (curtseying again). I beg your pardon, my father.

埃莉斯:(再行鞠躬礼)请您原谅,我的父亲。

Har.: (again imitating elise). I beg your pardon, my daughter.

阿巴贡:(再模仿埃莉斯的鞠躬礼)请你原谅,我的女儿。

Eli.: I am the very humble servant of Mr. Anselme, but (curtseying again), with your leave, I shall not marry him.

埃莉斯:我对安塞尔姆先生非常敬佩,可是(再行鞠躬礼),请您原谅,我不想嫁给他。

Har.: I am your very humble servant, but (again imitating elise)you will marry him this very evening.

阿巴贡:我对你也非常敬佩,可是(再模仿埃莉斯的鞠躬礼),你今晚就得嫁给他。

Eli.: This evening?

埃莉斯:今晚?

Har.: This evening.

阿巴贡:就是今晚。

Eli.: (curtseying again). It cannot be done, father.

埃莉斯:(再行鞠躬礼)这办不到,父亲。

Har.: (imitating elise). It will be done, daughter.

阿巴贡:(再模仿埃莉斯的鞠躬礼)这办得到,女儿。

Eli.: No.

埃莉斯:不行。

Har.: Yes.

阿巴贡:行。

Eli.: No, I tell you.

埃莉斯:不行,我说了。

Har.: Yes, I tell you.

阿巴贡:就行,我说了。

Eli.: You will never force me to do such a thing

埃莉斯:这种事情您不能强迫我。

Har.: I will force you to it.

阿巴贡:这件事我必须强迫你。

Eli.: I had rather kill myself than marry such a man.

埃莉斯:我宁可自杀也不愿意嫁给他。

Har.: You will not kill yourself, and you will marry him. But did you ever see such impudence? Did ever any one hear a daughter speak in such a fashion to her father?

阿巴贡:你不会自杀,你要嫁给他。看看你自己,怎么这么放肆?谁听过有女儿这样跟父亲说话的?

Eli.: But did ever anyone see a father marry his daughter after such a fashion?

埃莉斯:那谁又见过有父亲这样让女儿出嫁的?

Har.: It is a match against which nothing can be said, and I am perfectly sure that everybody will approve of my choice.

阿巴贡:这门婚事无可挑剔,我肯定,所有人都会赞同我的决定。

Eli.: And I know that it will be approved of by no reasonable person.

埃莉斯:可我相信任何有理智的人都不会同意的。

Har.: (seeing Valere). There is Valere coming. Shall we make him judge in this affair?

阿巴贡:(看到瓦莱尔)瓦莱尔来了。我们不如让他来评一评理?

Eli.: Willingly.

埃莉斯:我愿意。

Har.: You will abide by what he says?

阿巴贡:你服从他的评判吗?

Eli.: Yes, whatever he thinks right, I will do.

埃莉斯:是的,只要他认为是对的,我都会照做。

Har.: Agreed.

阿巴贡:一言为定。

SCENE VII. ——VALÈRE, HARPAGON, ÉLISE.

第七场——瓦莱尔,阿巴贡,埃莉斯。

Har.: Valere, we have chosen you to decide who is in the right, my daughter or I.

阿巴贡:瓦莱尔,你来评判一下,我们俩谁说的有理,是我女儿,还是我。

Val.: It is certainly you, Sir.

瓦莱尔:那肯定是您啦,老爷。

Har.: But have you any idea of what we are talking about?

阿巴贡:可是,你知道我们在说什么吗?

Val.: No; but you could not be in the wrong; you are reason itself.

瓦莱尔:不知道,但是您不会有错的,您总是正确的。

Har.: I want to give her to—night, for a husband, a man as rich as he is good; and the hussy tells me to my face that she scorns to take him. What do you say to that?

阿巴贡:我想今晚就把我女儿嫁给一个富裕又理智的人,可是这丫头竟然对我说她不愿意嫁给他。这事你怎么看?

Val.: What I say to it?

瓦莱尔:我怎么看?

Har.: Yes?

阿巴贡:是啊。

Val.: Eh! eh!

瓦莱尔:呃!呃!

Har.: What?

阿巴贡:什么?

Val.: I say that I am, upon the whole, of your opinion, and that you cannot but be right; yet, perhaps, she is not altogether wrong; and …

瓦莱尔:我是说,我不反对您的决定,您不会做错误的决定。可是,也许小姐她也未必全错,而且……

Har.: How so? Mr. Anselme is an excellent match; he is a nobleman, and a gentleman too; of simple habits, and extremely well off. He has no children left from his first marriage. Could she meet with anything more suitable?

阿巴贡:怎么会这样?安塞尔姆先生可是个了不起的人物,他既是贵族又是绅士,生活简单,并且非常的富有。他前妻也没为他留下孩子。我女儿还能找到一个比他更好的人吗?

Val.: It is true. But she might say that you are going rather fast, and that she ought to have at least a little time to consider whether her inclination could reconcile itself to …

瓦莱尔:确实如此。但是小姐也许认为这事有些匆忙,您至少该多给她一点时间让她慢慢考虑,想清楚该不该接受这桩婚事……

Har.: It is an opportunity I must not allow to slip through my fingers. I find an advantage here which I should not find elsewhere, and he agrees to take her without dowry.

阿巴贡:这可是一个千载难逢的好机会,不能错过。我会从他那儿得到从别处得不到的好处,而且他还答应不要女方嫁妆。

Val.: Without dowry?

瓦莱尔:不要嫁妆?

Har.: Yes.

阿巴贡:是的。

Val.: Ah! I have nothing more to say. A more convincing reason could not be found; and she must yield to that.

瓦莱尔:啊!那我没什么可说的了。没有比这更有说服力的理由了,小姐不能拒绝这门婚事。

Har.: It is a considerable saving to me.

阿巴贡:这对我来说可省下一大笔钱。

Val.: Undoubtedly; this admits of no contradiction. It is true that your daughter might represent to you that marriage is a more serious affair than people are apt to believe; that the happiness or misery of a whole life depends on it, and that an engagement which is to last till death ought not to be entered into without great consideration.

瓦莱尔:当然了,这一点谁都不会反对。可是,小姐也对您说过了,婚姻是一件大事,比人们想象中还要重要,这关系到她一生能否幸福,这是一辈子的承诺,必须经过慎重考虑才能决定。

Har.: Without dowry!

阿巴贡:不要嫁妆!

Val.: That must of course decide everything. There are certainly people who might tell you that on such occasions the wishes of a daughter are no doubt to be considered, and that this great disparity of age, of disposition, and of feelings might be the cause of many an unpleasant thing in a married life.

瓦莱尔:这当然是决定性的。不过肯定也有人对您说过,在这时候,毫无疑问应该重视一下女儿的意愿。还有,年龄、性格、感情上的巨大差异,会给婚姻带来很多不愉快的事情。

Har.: Without dowry!

阿巴贡:不要嫁妆!

Val.: Ah! it must be granted that there is no reply to that; who in the world could think otherwise? I do not mean to say but that there are many fathers who would set a much higher value on the happiness of their daughter than on the money they may have to give for their marriage; who would not like to sacrifice them to their own interests, and who would, above all things, try to see in a marriage that sweet conformity of tastes which is a sure pledge of honour, tranquillity and joy; and that …

瓦莱尔:啊!这一点无可争议,有谁会否认呢?我想说的是,天下有很多父亲更看重自己女儿是否幸福,而不是计较金钱。他们不会为了自己的利益牺牲掉自己女儿。对于女儿的婚事,他们首先想到的是两个人的甜蜜结合能否让两人过上彼此尊重、和睦、快乐的生活,而且……

Har.: Without dowry!

阿巴贡:不要嫁妆!

Val.: That is true; nothing more can be said. Without dowry. How can anyone resist such arguments?

瓦莱尔:事实如此,这令人无话可说。不要嫁妆。这理由谁能抗拒?

Har.: (aside, looking towards the garden). Ah! I fancy I hear a dog barking. Is anyone after my money. (To Valere)Stop here, I'll come back directly.

阿巴贡:(旁白,目光投向花园)啊!我好像听见了狗叫。该不会是有人想偷走我的钱吧。(对着瓦莱尔)先说到这儿,我等会儿就回来。

SCENE VIII. ——ÉLISE, VALÈRE.

第八场——埃莉斯,瓦莱尔。

Eli.: Surely, Valere, you are not in earnest when you speak to him in that manner?

埃莉斯:瓦莱尔,你刚才对我父亲所说的话,肯定是开玩笑的吧?

Val.: I do it that I may not vex him, and the better to secure my ends. To resist him boldly would simply spoil everything. There are certain people who are only to be managed by indirect means, temperaments averse from all resistance, restive natures whom truth causes to rear, who always kick when we would lead them on the right road of reason, and who can only be led by a way opposed to that by which you wish them to go.

瓦莱尔:我那样说是为了不激怒你父亲,也是为了达到我们的目的。要是当面跟他顶撞,只会把事情弄糟。对付有些人只能用迂回的办法,他们无法忍受一点反抗,生性倔强,你说真话,他们就发脾气,你讲道理,他们死活不肯听,所以我们只能兜圈子,让他跟着我们走。

Eli.: But this marriage, Valere?

埃莉斯:可这婚事怎么办,瓦莱尔?

Val.: We will find some pretext for breaking it off.

瓦莱尔:我们得想方法取消它。

Eli.: But what pretext can we find if it is to be concluded to—night?

埃莉斯:但是婚事就定在今晚,我们能想到什么办法?

Val.: You must ask to have it delayed, and must feign some illness or other.

瓦莱尔:你必须想法儿拖延时间,假装生病什么的。

Eli.: But he will soon discover the truth if they call in the doctor.

埃莉斯:可是他们只要一请医生来,就会发现我是装病。

Val.: Not a bit of it. Do you imagine that a doctor understands what he is about? Nonsense! Don't be afraid. Believe me, you may complain of any disease you please, the doctor will be at no loss to explain to you from what it proceeds.

瓦莱尔:才不会呢。你以为医生能知道什么?都是胡说!别怕,相信我,你可以随便说你有什么病,因为医生一定会去找你生病的原因的。

SCENE IX——HARPAGON, ÉLISE, VALÈRE.

第九场——阿巴贡,埃莉斯,瓦莱尔。

Har.: (alone, at the farther end of the stage). It is nothing, thank heaven!

阿巴贡:(独自一人在远处舞台)一切正常,谢天谢地!

Val.: (not seeing Harpagon). In short, flight is the last resource we have left us to avoid all this; and if your love, dear Élise, is as strong as …(Seeing Harpagon)Yes, a daughter is bound to obey her father. She has no right to inquire what a husband offered to her is like, and when the most important question, "without dowry, " presents itself, she should accept anybody that is given her.

瓦莱尔:(没看见阿巴贡)简而言之,我们还有最后一招,那就是一走了之。亲爱的埃莉斯,如果你对我的爱真的……(看到了阿巴贡)是的,女儿必须遵从父亲的意愿。她没有权力去想自己的丈夫是个什么样的人,而且面对 “不要嫁妆” 这最重要的条件,身为女儿应当服从一切安排。

Har.: Good; that was beautifully said!

阿巴贡:好,你说的太好了!

Val.: I beg your pardon, Sir, if I carry it a little too far, and take upon myself to speak to her as I do.

瓦莱尔:请您原谅,老爷,我有点太过火了,竟敢这么跟她说话。

Har.: Why, I am delighted, and I wish you to have her entirely under your control. (To elise)Yes, you may run away as much as you like. I give him all the authority over you that heaven has given me, and I will have you do all that he tells you.

阿巴贡:怎么会,我非常高兴,我希望你全权控制她。(对埃莉斯)对,你想躲也没有用。我让他行使上天赐予我管教你的权利,我要让你照他说的去做。

Val.: After that, resist all my expostulations, if you can.

瓦莱尔:那么现在,你还敢不听我的话吗?

SCENE X. ——HARPAGON, VALÈRE.

第十场——阿巴贡,瓦莱尔。

Val.: I will follow her, Sir, if you will allow me, and will continue the lecture I was giving her.

瓦莱尔:老爷,如果您允许,我会跟着她,继续这么教育她的。

Har.: Yes, do so; you will oblige me greatly.

阿巴贡:是的,就这么办,我真得非常感激你。

Val.: She ought to be kept in with a tight hand.

瓦莱尔:应该对小姐严加看管。

Har.: Quite true, you must …

阿巴贡:千真万确,你一定……

Val.: Do not be afraid; I believe I shall end by convincing her.

瓦莱尔:您不用担心,我相信我会说服她的。

Har.: Do so, do so. I am going to take a short stroll in the town, and I will come back again presently.

阿巴贡:去吧,去吧。我要进城一趟,很快就回来。

Val.: (going towards the door through which elise left, and speaking as if it were to her). Yes, money is more precious than anything else in the world, and you should thank heaven that you have so worthy a man for a father. He knows what life is. When a man offers to marry a girl without a dowry, we ought to look no farther. Everything is comprised in that, and "without dowry" compensates for want of beauty, youth, birth, honour, wisdom, and probity.

瓦莱尔:(走向刚才埃莉斯离开的门口,假装对着她说。)是的,金钱是世界上最宝贵的东西,你应该感谢上苍赐予你一位这样通情达理的父亲。他懂得生活是怎么回事。如果有人愿意娶一个没有嫁妆的姑娘,我们不应该再有别的要求了。不要嫁妆就包涵了一切, “不要嫁妆” 能够弥补英俊、年轻、出身、荣誉、智慧和正直的缺乏。

Har.: Ah! the honest fellow! he speaks like an oracle. Happy is he who can secure such a servant!

阿巴贡:啊!真是一个诚实的人!他说的话就像是神谕。能有这样一个仆人真让人高兴!

ACT II. QmY3tvMzeqA6ANU0OUgbsYAbqHrYaeZdTIN801O7JyPbQmIHtTornwyhd1vJXP6H

点击中间区域
呼出菜单
上一章
目录
下一章
×