购买
下载掌阅APP,畅读海量书库
立即打开
畅读海量书库
扫码下载掌阅APP

第五章

Oh, she let me know as soon as, round the corner of the house, she loomed again into view.

哦,很快她就会让我知道了,一转过屋角,她就再次出现在我的视野里。

"What in the name of goodness is the matter—?” She was now flushed and out of breath.

“天哪,到底这是——” 她现在满脸通红,上气不接下气。

I said nothing till she came quite near. "With me? " I must have made a wonderful face.

我没说话,直到她走得足够近, “我怎么了吗?” 我当时的表情一定很夸张。

"Do I show it? "

“我表现出来了吗?”

"You're as white as a sheet. You look awful.”

“你的脸像纸一样白。你看上去很糟糕。”

I considered; I could meet on this, without scruple, any innocence.

我考虑着,我可以没有任何犹豫地,直接跟她谈这件事了。

My need to respect the bloom of Mrs. Grose's had dropped, without a rustle, from my shoulders, and if I wavered for the instant it was not with what I kept back. I put out my hand to her and she took it; I held her hard a little, liking to feel her close to me.

我将出于对格罗斯太太面子的尊重放在一边,我不想再有所隐瞒了,如果我有片刻的犹豫,那也跟我隐瞒的事无关。我向她伸出手,她抓住了,我用了点儿劲拉她,我喜欢她靠近我的感觉。

There was a kind of support in the shy heave of her surprise.

她害羞而吃惊的表情中有种支持。

"You came for me for church, of course, but I can't go.”

“你当然是来叫我去教堂的,但是,我不能去。”

"Has anything happened? "

“发生什么事了吗?”

"Yes. You must know now. Did I look very queer? "

“是的。你现在必须得知道。我看起来很古怪吗?”

"Through this window? Dreadful! "

“通过这个窗子看吗?令人毛骨悚然!”

"Well, " I said, "I've been frightened.” Mrs. Grose's eyes expressed plainly that SHE had no wish to be, yet also that she knew too well her place not to be ready to share with me any marked inconvenience.

“嗯,我被吓坏了。” 我说。格罗斯太太的眼神清楚地表明,她并不想分担,而且她知道她还没有准备好跟我分担什么明显的麻烦。

Oh, it was quite settled that she MUST share! "Just what you saw from the dining room a minute ago was the effect of that. What I saw—just before—was much worse.”

哦,毫无疑问,她必须和我分担! “一分钟前你从餐厅看到的,正是那件事的效果。在这之前,我看到的更加糟糕。”

Her hand tightened. "What was it? "

她的手攥紧了: “那是什么?”

"An extraordinary man. Looking in. "

“一个奇怪的人,正在往里看。”

"What extraordinary man? "

“什么奇怪的人?”

"I haven't the least idea.”

“我一点儿也不清楚。”

Mrs. Grose gazed round us in vain. "Then where is he gone? "

格罗斯太太向四周看了一下,什么都没有。 “那么他去哪里了?”

"I know still less. "

“我更不知道。”

"Have you seen him before? "

“你以前见过他吗?”

"Yes—once. On the old tower.” She could only look at me harder. " Do you mean he's a stranger?”

“是的,见过一次,在那个古塔上。” 她只能紧紧地盯着我, “你意思是说,他是个陌生人?”

"Oh, very much! "

“嗯,是这样的!”

"Yet you didn't tell me?”

“但你并没有告诉我?”

"No—for reasons. But now that you've guessed—” Mrs. Grose's round eyes encountered this charge. " Ah, I haven't guessed! "she said very simply. " How can I if YOU don't imagine?”

“是的——因为某些原因。但是现在你已经猜到了——” 格罗斯太太的圆眼睛表露出不满。 “啊,我还没猜到!” 她简单地说道, “如果你不瞎想,我怎么会知道?”

"I don't in the very least.”

“我没有瞎想。”

"You've seen him nowhere but on the tower?”

“你只在那个塔上见过他?”

"And on this spot just now. "

“刚才在这里也见过。”

Mrs. Grose looked round again. "What was he doing on the tower? "

格罗斯太太又看看四周: “他在塔上做什么?”

"Only standing there and looking down at me. "

“只是站在那里往下看我。”

She thought a minute. "Was he a gentleman? "

她想了一会儿: “他是个绅士吗?”

I found I had no need to think. "No. " she gazed in deeper wonder. "No. "

我觉得我根本不用想: “不是。” 她更惊讶地看着我, “不是。”

"Then nobody about the place? Nobody from the village? "

“那么当时没有别人在吗?没有人从村里过来吗?”

"Nobody—nobody. I didn't tell you, but I made sure. " she breathed a vague relief: this was, oddly, so much to the good.

“没有,没有人。我没告诉过你,但我确定。” 她叹了口气,轻松了一些,奇怪的是,这让人感觉好了很多。

It only went indeed a little way. "But if he isn't a gentleman—What IS he?”

她只是轻轻地叹了口气。 “但如果他不是个绅士——他是谁?”

"He's a horror.”

“他是个恐怖的家伙。”

"A horror? "

“一个恐怖的家伙?”

"He 's—God help me if I know WHAT he is!”

“他是——天知道他是谁!”

Mrs. Grose looked round once more; she fixed her eyes on the duskier distance, then, pulling herself together, turned to me with abrupt inconsequence.

格罗斯太太再次环顾四周,她将视线投向昏暗的远处,然后,她收拾好自己的情绪,突然转向我。

"It's time we should be at church.”

“我们应该去教堂了。”

"Oh, I 'm not fit for church!”

“哦,我现在不适合去教堂!”

"Won't it do you good?”

“这对你不好吗?”

"It won't do THEM—!” I nodded at the house.

“是对他们不好!” 我对着房子点头。

"The children? "

“孩子们?”

"I can't leave them now.”

“我现在不能和他们分开。”

"You're afraid—?”

“你害怕——”

I spoke boldly. "I 'm afraid of HIM.”

我坦率地说: “我害怕他。”

Mrs. Grose's large face showed me, at this, for the first time, the faraway faint glimmer of a consciousness more acute: I somehow made out in it the delayed dawn of an idea I myself had not given her and that was as yet quite obscure to me.

格罗斯太太的圆脸第一次向我隐约流露出更为敏锐的理性微光,不知为何,我迟迟没有告诉她我的想法,而我至今仍然也不是很清楚。

It comes back to me that I thought instantly of this as something I could get from her; and I felt it to be connected with the desire she presently showed to know more.

我突然意识到,我可以从她那里得到信息,我感觉到,这和她表现出渴望知道更多情况不谋而合。

"When was it—on the tower?”

“那是发生在什么时候——在塔上?”

"About the middle of the month. At this same hour. "

“大概是在这个月中旬。就在这个时候。”

"Almost at dark, " said Mrs. Grose.

“天几乎黑了。” 格罗斯太太说。

"Oh, no, not nearly. I saw him as I see you. "

“哦,不,还没完全黑下来。我看到他,就像我看见你。”

"Then how did he get in? "

“那他是怎么进来的?”

"And how did he get out? " I laughed. "I had no opportunity to ask him! This evening, you see, " I pursued, "he has not been able to get in. "

“他又是怎么出去的?” 我笑道, “我没机会问他!今晚,你看,” 我继续说, “他没能进来。”

"He only peeps? "

“他只是偷窥吗?”

"I hope it will be confined to that! "

“我希望仅仅如此!”

She had now let go my hand; she turned away a little. I waited an instant; then I brought out: "Go to church. Goodbye. I must watch. "

她松开了我的手,走开了一点儿。我稍等了一下,然后说道: “去教堂吧,再见,我必须在这里看守着。”

Slowly she faced me again. "Do you fear for them? "

慢慢地,她又看着我: “你是担心他们吗?”

We met in another long look. "Don't YOU?” Instead of answering she came nearer to the window and, for a minute, applied her face to the glass.

我们对视许久。 “你不担心吗?” 她没有回答,而是走近窗户,过了一会儿,她把脸贴近玻璃。

"You see how he could see, " I meanwhile went on. She didn't move.

“你看他是怎么看的。” 同时我走了过去。她没动。

"How long was he here? "

“他在这里有多久?”

"Till I came out. I came to meet him. "

“直到我出来。我出来见他。”

Mrs. Grose at last turned round, and there was still more in her face.

最后,格罗斯太太转过身,她脸上表情说明了更多的东西。

"I couldn't have come out.”

“我不应该出来。”

"Neither could I! " I laughed again. "But I did come. I have my duty. "

“我也不应该出来!” 我又笑道, “但我却出来了。我有责任。”

"So have I mine, " she replied; after which she added: "What is he like? "

“我也有责任。” 她回答道,之后她又问, “他长什么样?”

"I've been dying to tell you. But he's like nobody.”

“我很想告诉你。但是他跟谁也不像。”

"Nobody? " she echoed.

“谁都不像?” 她重复道。

"He has no hat. " Then seeing in her face that she already, in this, with a deeper dismay, found a touch of picture, I quickly added stroke to stroke. "He has red hair, very red, close—curling, and a pale face, long in shape, with straight, good features and little, rather queer whiskers that are as red as his hair. His eyebrows are, somehow, darker; they look particularly arched and as if they might move a good deal. His eyes are sharp, strange—awfully; but I only know clearly that they're rather small and very fixed. His mouth's wide, and his lips are thin, and except for his little whiskers he's quite clean—shaven. He gives me a sort of sense of looking like an actor.”

“他没戴帽子。” 她的脸上已经显露出惊慌之色,她已经想到一幅画面,我快速地一点点地补充道: “他有一头红发,很红,很卷,脸色苍白,身材修长挺拔,五官不错,还有和他的头发一样红得很奇怪的胡子。不知为何,他的眉毛偏重,它们看上去很弯,好像很灵活。他的眼神凌厉而奇异——很可怕,但我只清楚地记得它们很小但非常坚定。他的嘴巴很大,嘴唇很薄,除了那小胡子,他的下颌倒是修得很整齐。他给我的感觉很像一个演员。”

"An actor! " It was impossible to resemble one less, at least, than Mrs. Grose at that moment.

“一个演员!” 在那一刻,至少没有人像格罗斯太太一样。

"I've never seen one, but so I suppose them. He's tall, active, erect! " I continued, "but never—no, never! —a gentleman.”

“我未曾见过演员,只是想象着他们就是这样。他高大、精神、挺拔!” 我继续说道, “但不,不是,绝不是一个绅士。”

My companion's face had blanched as I went on; her round eyes started and her mild mouth gaped. "A gentleman? " she gasped, confounded, stupefied: "a gentleman HE? "

她的脸色随着我的话语而变得苍白,两眼睁得圆圆的,嘴巴张得大大的。 “一位绅士?” 她吓呆了,困惑而麻木地说, “他是一位绅士?”

"You know him then? " she visibly tried to hold herself. "But he IS handsome? "

“那么你认识他?” 很明显,她试图让自己平静下来, “但他很英俊?”

I saw the way to help her. "Remarkably! "

我试着给她提供线索: “很惹眼!”

"And dressed—?”

“他的穿着——”

"In somebody's clothes. They're smart, but they're not his own.” She broke into a breathless affirmative groan: " They're the master's!”

“他穿着别人的衣服。衣服不错,但不是他自己的。” 她窒息般肯定地呻吟道: “衣服是我们主人的!”

I caught it up. "You DO know him? " she faltered but a second. "Quint! " she cried.

我追问道: “你真的认识他?” 她支吾了片刻。 “昆特!” 她喊道。

"Quint? "

“昆特?”

"Peter Quint—his own man, his valet, when he was here!”

“彼得•昆特——他在这里时是主人的贴身男仆!”

"When the master was? "

“主人在这里时?”

Gaping still, but meeting me, she pieced it all together. "He never wore his hat, but he did wear—well, there were waistcoats missed. They were both here—last year. Then the master went, and Quint was alone.”

她仍惊慌地张着口,看到我的眼神,她整理了一下思绪: “他从来不戴他的帽子,但他曾穿——是的,有两件背心不见了。去年还都在这里。后来主人走了,只有昆特一个人。”

I followed, but halting a little. "Alone? "

我听着,但顿了一下: “一个人?”

"Alone with US. " Then, as from a deeper depth, "In charge, " she added.

“只剩下他和我们,” 然后,她深吸一口气补充道, “照看庄园。”

"And what became of him? " She hung fire so long that I was still more mystified.

“那他后来呢?” 她很久未开口,我更疑惑了。

"He went, too, " she brought out at last.

“他也走了。” 最后她终于说出来。

"Went where? "

“他去哪里了?”

Her expression, at this, became extraordinary. "God knows where! He died. "

这时,她的表情变得有点儿怪异。 “上帝才知道他去哪里了!他死了。”

"Died? " I almost shrieked. She seemed fairly to square herself, plant herself more firmly to utter the wonder of it. "Yes. Mr. Quint is dead. "

“他死了?” 我几乎尖叫出来。她似乎为了让我听明白,又一字一句地说道: “是的,昆特先生死了。” f5ZY8bVL825gbln2QA1wifoKg4CfaapYLt3QRsitp2xpYjxyIZSdyV/f8ZKkX3/W

点击中间区域
呼出菜单
上一章
目录
下一章
×