购买
下载掌阅APP,畅读海量书库
立即打开
畅读海量书库
扫码下载掌阅APP

C

常用英语短语

call back
收回;回电

常用口语句子

I’ll call back later.

我待会儿回电话。

Can you ask John to call me back when he gets in?

约翰来了的时候你能叫他给我回个电话吗?

You could call back to collect her at noon.

你中午回来接她。

常用英语短语

call by
顺路访问,顺路探访

常用口语句子

Could you call by on your way home?

你回家的时候,能顺路来一下吗?

I just thought I’d call by on my way into town.

我就想进城的路上顺便看看。

I’ll call by at the shops on the way home.

回家的路上我顺便到商店去。

常用英语短语

call for
请求,要求;号召;拜访

常用口语句子

The situation calls for prompt action.

形势所迫,必须立即采取行动。

I’ve been promoted .

我已经升职了。

This calls for a celebratio !

这可得庆祝一下喽!

I’ll call for you at 7 o’clock.

我7点钟到你家接你。

p rom p t [prɔmpt] adj. .及时的,迅速的

p romote [prə'məut] v. .提升,晋升

celebra t on [ , selɪ'breɪʃən] n. .庆祝(会)

常用英语短语

call it a day
今天到此为止了,收工了

常用口语句子

Let’s call it a day .

今天到此为止吧。

I think I’ll call it a day and go home.

我想收工回家了。

After forty years in politics he thinks it’time to call it a day .

他从政四十年,认为该结束了。

常用英语短语

call of
取消

常用口语句子

The meeting was called of .

会议已取消了。

They have called of their engagement.

他们已经解除了婚约。

The match was called of because of bad weather.

由于天气不好,比赛取消了。

常用英语短语

call on
号召,邀请,点某人的名,拜访

常用口语句子

We are calling on you to help us.

我们恳求你帮助我们。

I now call on the chairman to address the meeting.

现在请主席致辞。

Why not call on me tomorrow?

你干吗不明天就来看我呢?

chairman ['tʃeə.mən] n. .主席,董事长

addre ss [ə'dres] v. .向(某人或听众)讲话

常用英语短语

call the roll
点名

常用口语句子

Now I’ll call the roll .

现在我点名了。

I’ll call the roll before class.

课前我要点名。

Quiet now, please. I’m going to call the roll . Jack?

请安静,我开始点名了。杰克?

常用英语短语

call up
打电话;召集;想起某事物,回忆某事

常用口语句子

She called up a friend just for a chat .

她打电话给一个朋友,只是要聊聊天。

If war breaks out, we shall be called up at once.

如果战争爆发,我们将立即被征召服役。

The sound of happy laughter called up memories of his childhood.

这欢笑声使他回忆起童年时代的情景。

chat [tʃæt] n. .聊天,闲谈

常用英语短语

calm down
平静下来,镇定下来

常用口语句子

Just calm down a bit!

你先静一静!

Have a brandy . It’ll help to calm you down .

来点儿白兰地能使你平静下来。

Calm down and tell me what happened.

平静下来,告诉我发生了什么。

brandy ['brndɪ] n. .白兰地

常用英语短语

care about
关注,对……感兴趣;担心

常用口语句子

All she cares about is her social life.

她关心的只是她的社交活动。

I don’t care about your opinion.

我对你的观点不感兴趣。

Don’t you care about losing your job?

你难道不担心失去工作吗?

常用英语短语

care for
照顾,照料;喜欢;愿意或同意

常用口语句子

Who will care for him if his wife dies?

假若他妻子死了,谁照顾他?

I like him but I don’t care for her.

我喜欢他,却不太喜欢她。

Would you care for a drink?

你愿意喝点儿酒吗?

常用英语短语

careful of/about/with
小心,注意

常用口语句子

Be careful of the dog; it sometimes bites people.

留心那条狗,它有时候咬人。

Be careful about/of what you say to him.

对他说话可得小心。

Be careful with the glasses.

小心玻璃杯。

常用英语短语

carry away
带走;使……着迷,使……失去自制

常用口语句子

The flood has carried away the bridge.

洪水把桥冲走了。

He was carried away by her beautiful

appearance .

他被她的美貌迷住了。

He is carried away by his achievements .

他的成就使他高兴得忘乎所以。

a pp earance [ə'pɪərəns] n. .外表,外貌
achie v ement [ə'tʃiːvmənt] n. .成就,成绩

常用英语短语

carry on
继续

常用口语句子

Carry on working while I’m away.

我不在的时候,要继续做工作。

They decided to carry on in spite of the weather.

他们决定不管天气好坏都坚持着。

Carry on the good work!

好好干下去!

in sp ite o f .不顾,不管

常用英语短语

carry out
完成;开展, 实行

常用口语句子

Extensive tests have been carried out on the patient.

对患者进行了多次试验。

When will they carry out the project?

他们什么时候执行这一方案?

He made no attemp to carry out his undertaking .

他无意实现他的诺言。

a t em p t [ə'tempt] v. .尝试,努力,试图
undertaking [ , ʌndə'teɪkɪŋ] n. .答应,保证

常用英语短语

catch cold
伤风,感冒

常用口语句子

Put your coat on before you go out or you’ll catch cold .

穿上外套再出去,不然你会感冒的。

It’s chilly outside; be careful not to catch cold .

外面有点冷,当心感冒。

Children are liable to catch cold .

小孩易患感冒。

liable ['laɪəbl] adj. .易于……的

常用英语短语

catch fir
着火

常用口语句子

His house caught fir last night.

昨晚他家失火了。

She was standing too close to the fireplac and her dress caught fir .

她站得离壁炉太近了,衣服烧着了。

As the wood is wet,it won’t catch fir .

木头是湿的,点不着。

f re p lace ['faɪə.pleɪs] n. .壁炉

常用英语短语

catch on
理解,明白;受欢迎

常用口语句子

He’s always the last to catch on .

他总是最后一个弄明白。

Would you mind repeating that? I didn’t

quite catch on .

请再说一遍好吗?我没听懂。

It is a nice song and I think it will catch on quickly.

这首歌很好,我想它会很快流行起来。

常用英语短语

catch one’s breath
喘息,屏息

常用口语句子

He caught his breath in surprise.

他惊奇得屏住了呼吸。

Hang on a minute — let me catch my breath !

歇一会儿——让我喘口气!

The beautiful valleys made me catch my breath .

那美丽的山谷令我屏息。

v alley ['vælɪ] n. .山谷

常用英语短语

catch one’s eye
引起某人的注意

常用口语句子

Try to catch the waiter’s eye .

招呼服务员。

A newspaper headline caught his eye .

报纸的大标题引起他的注意。

Every time she caught his eye , she would glance away embarrassed .

每当她注意他的时候,她会尴尬地把目光移开。

headline ['hedlaɪn] n. .大字标题

embarra ss ed [ɪm'bærəst] adj. .尴尬的

常用英语短语

catch sight of
看见,一眼瞥见

常用口语句子

She caught sight of a car in the distance.

她一眼瞥见远处的汽车。

He caught sight of her before she vanished into the crowd.

他看见她一闪就在人群中消失了。

I caught sight of her in the crowd.

我在人群中看见她了。

v ani s h ['vænɪʃ] v. .突然不见,消失

常用英语短语

catch up
很快拾起;缠住;赶上

常用口语句子

Go on in front. I’ll soon catch up with you.

你先走,我很快就赶上你。

If you miss a lot of classes, it’s very difficul to catch up .

如果你落下很多的课程,就很难赶上了。

Drive faster — they’re catching up with us.

开快点——他们要赶上我们了。

常用英语短语

catch up on
用额外时间做某事;事后了解对某事物的情况

常用口语句子

I’ve got a lot of work to catch up on .

我有很多工作得赶着做。

Come over for a chat so we can catch up on each other’s news.

来聊聊天,彼此好通通最近的消息。

The first thing I did when I got home was to phone up Joe and catch up on all the gossip .

我到家的第一件事是给乔打电话,了解所有的八卦。

go ss i p ['gɔsɪp] n. .闲言碎语,流言蜚语

常用英语短语

certain of/about
确信,肯定

常用口语句子

She saw me: I’m certain of that.

她看见我了,这一点我可以肯定。

I’m not certain of what she wants.

我不清楚她想要什么。

Now, are you certain about that?

现在,你确信那件事了吗?

常用英语短语

change hands
归另一人所有;转手

常用口语句子

The house has changed hands several times

recently.

这房子最近几经转手。

The shop has changed hands .

该店已换了主人。

The car had changed hands five time before I bought it.

这辆汽车在我买来之前已经转过5次手了。

常用英语短语

change one’s mind
改变主意

常用口语句子

Nothing will make me change my mind .

任何事情都不能使我改变主意。

Her father tried to get her to change her mind .

她爸爸试图让她改变主意。

If you change your mind about the job, just give me a call.

如果你对工作改变主意了,就给我打电话。

常用英语短语

charge for
要价,收费

常用口语句子

How much do you charge for mending shoes?

修鞋要多少钱?

We won’t charge for delivery if you pay now.

如果你现在付款的话我们不收运送费。

How much do you charge for a haircut and blow-dry?

洗剪吹你们收多少钱?

deli v ery [dɪ'lɪvərɪ] n. .递送,投递

haircut ['heəkʌt] n. .理发

常用英语短语

charge sb. with sth.
控告某人做某事;使某人承担任务或责任

常用口语句子

He was charged with murder .

他被控犯谋杀罪。

She charged me with neglectin my duty.

她指控我玩忽职守。

She was charged with an important mission .

她被委以重任。

murder ['mɜːdə(r)] n. .谋杀,谋杀案

neglect [nɪ'glekt] v. .疏忽,忽略

mi ss ion ['mɪʃn] n. .使命,任务

常用英语短语

check in
登记,报到

常用口语句子

Where can I check in ?

在哪儿办理登记手续?

You need to check in two hours before the flight

你需要在起飞前两小时办理登机手续。

I said goodbye and went to check in my suitcases.

我说再见后去办理了行李登记。

s uitca s e ['sjuːtkeɪs] n. .小提箱,衣箱

常用英语短语

check of
核对,查对;扣款;下班

常用口语句子

I’ll check of all the items in the inventory .

我将核查清单上的各个项目。

Jim’s dues were checked of every week.

吉姆的工会会费每星期从工资中扣除。

The workers in this motor works check of at 6 o’clock.

这家汽车制造厂的工人6点钟下班。

in v entory ['ɪnvəntrɪ] n. .详细目录,清单

常用英语短语

check on
检查,核对

常用口语句子

Honey, can you go upstairs and check on the kids?

亲爱的,你能上楼上去看看孩子们吗?

Don’t forget to check on your work.

别忘记检查一下你们的工作。

Will you check on the time the train leaves?

请你核对一下火车开出的时间好吗?

常用英语短语

check out
结账离开;仔细检查,核对,看看

常用口语句子

He plans to check out on Tuesday.

他打算在星期二结账离开旅馆。

I made a phone call to check out his address.

我打了个电话核对了他的地址

Hey, check out that car!

嘿,看看那辆车!

常用英语短语

check over
仔细检查

常用口语句子

They spent the rest of the morning checking over their equipment .

他们那天早上其他时间都用来检查他们的设.备了。

Please check over your work and correct any mistakes.

请把作业检查一遍,把错误改正。

I’d like the doctor to check you over and do a few tests.

我想让医生给你检查一些,做一些化验。

equi p ment [ɪ'kwɪpmənt] n. .设备,器械,装备

correct [kə'rekt] v. .改正,纠正.adj..正确的

常用英语短语

check up
校对,检验,检查,调查

常用口语句子

Will you please check up these data to see if they are correct?

请你把这些资料查对一下,看看正不正确,.好吗?

He was careful enough to check up every detail .

他非常仔细,把每一个细节都核对过了。

Please check up these references .

请核对这些参考资料。

detail ['diːteɪl] n. .细节,详情

re f erence ['refərəns] n. .资料,附注

常用英语短语

check up on
检查,核对,调查

常用口语句子

Don’t worry; no one is going to check up on you.

别担心,没人会去调查你的。

Dustin called me to check up on some facts.

达斯汀打电话给我核对了一些事实。

The police are checking up on him.

警方正在调查他。

常用英语短语

check with
与……相符合;与……协商

常用口语句子

The shipment does not check with the sample.

装船的货物与货样不符。

He goes to check with the Lost Baggage Offic

他去行李丢失登记处联系。

I’ll check with my boss before I place an order.

订货之前,我得和老板商量一下。

s hi p ment ['ʃɪpmənt] n. .装载的货物

常用英语短语

cheer up
兴奋起来,振作起来

常用口语句子

Try and cheer up a bit; life isn’t that bad!

想办法高兴点儿,生活并不是那么糟!

You look as though you need cheering up .

看来你需要振作起来。

Cheer up ! The worst is over.

振作点!最糟糕的已经过去了。

常用英语短语

chew over
仔细考虑

常用口语句子

I’ll give you till tomorrow to chew it over .

我给你一天时间考虑考虑这问题。

Let me chew over this idea for a while.

让我考虑一下这个主意。

You should chew over this thing.

你应当好好思量这件事。

常用英语短语

child’s play
容易干的事

常用口语句子

It’s not a difficult climb—it should b child’s play for an experienced mountaineer .

这次攀登并不难,对于有经验的登山运动员应是轻而易举的事。

Riding a bicycle is child’s play when you’ve had some practice.

你只要稍加练习,骑自行车是件很容易的事。

This is child’s play . I can definitel nail it.

这是一件极其容易的事,我肯定能搞定。

mountaineer [ , maʊntɪ'nɪə] n. .登山运动员

de f nitely ['defɪnətli] adv. .明确地,确切地,肯定地

nail [neɪl] v. .抓住,搞定

常用英语短语

clean of
擦去;消除

常用口语句子

The stain on his shirt is difficult t clean of .

他衬衣上的污点很难去除掉。

You need to clean of your plate before dessert .

上甜点前你必须吃光你盘子里的东西。

This detergent can clean of all the dirt.

这种洗涤剂可以除去所有的污垢。

de ss ert [dɪ'zɜːt] n. .甜点

detergent [dɪ'tɜːdʒənt] n. .洗涤剂,去污剂

常用英语短语

clean out
扫除干净;(钱)花完,输完

常用口语句子

I’ve asked the children to clean out their drawers.

我已经让孩子们把他们的抽屉弄整齐。

She cleaned out her savings in a short time

她在短时间内把全部积蓄都花光了。

It’s gone clean out of my mind.

我已把它忘得精光了。

常用英语短语

clean up
收拾干净;肃清;挣得或赢得(很多钱)

常用口语句子

My hands are filth ; I’d better go and clean up .

我的手脏了,最好去洗洗。

The mayor is determined to clean up the city.

市长决心清除市内的不良现象。

He cleaned up a small fortune .

他发了一笔小财。

f lthy ['fɪlθi] adj. .肮脏的

determine [dɪ'tɜːmɪn] v. .决定

f ortune ['fɔːtʃuːn] n. .大笔的钱,巨款

常用英语短语

clear of
没有,不接触

常用口语句子

You are now clear of all suspicion .

你现在已经没有嫌疑了。

Stand clear of the doors.

别站在门口挡道。

Wait until the road is clear of traffic befor crossing.

等路上无车辆来往时,再穿过马路。

s u sp icion [sə'spɪʃn] n. .怀疑,涉嫌

常用英语短语

clear of
清除;走开;摆脱;消散

常用口语句子

You’ve no right to be here. Clear of !

你无权在这儿。走开!

Be sure to clear of the rubbish .

一定要清理垃圾。

The fog cleared of in the morning sun.

雾气消散在清晨的阳光下。

rubbi s h ['rʌbɪʃ] n. .垃圾,废物
f og [fɔg] n. .雾

常用英语短语

clear the table
收拾桌子

常用口语句子

I’ll clear the table .

我来清理桌子。

You clear the table and I’ll make the coffee

你收拾桌子,我去煮咖啡。

Let me help you to clear the table .

让我来帮你收拾桌子。

常用英语短语

clear out
清除,赶走, 离开

常用口语句子

I’ll clear out that closet for you.

我要替你把那个衣橱清理出来。

He cleared out before the police arrived.

警察尚未来到,他就急忙溜掉了。

I’ve told you a hundred times to clear out those bottles

我已经告诉你一百遍了,把那些瓶子清出去。

常用英语短语

clear up
(天气)转晴;痊愈;使(某物)整洁, 清理

常用口语句子

I hope it clears up this afternoon.

我希望今天下午天气转晴。

Has your rash cleared up yet?

你的皮疹好了吗?

Please clear up the mess in here before you go.

你走以前请把这里的杂乱东西整理好。

ra s h [ræʃ] n. .疹,皮疹

me ss [mes] n. .脏或乱的状态

常用英语短语

clever at
善于,擅长

常用口语句子

Her mother was clever at many things.

她妈妈对许多事情都很精通。

He was clever at finding bargains .

他善于找物美价廉的东西。

That girl is clever at mathematic .

那个女孩擅长数学。

bargain ['bɑːgɪn] n. .廉价购买或廉价出售之物

mathema t c s [ , mæθə'mætɪks] n. .数学

常用英语短语

close down
(无线电台或电视台)停止广播;永久关闭,倒闭

常用口语句子

It is midnight and we are now closing down .

时间已到午夜,本台现在停止广播。

Many businesses have closed down because of the recession .

因经济衰退许多企业纷纷倒闭。

The firm has decided to close down its

Chicago branch .

公司已决定关闭芝加哥的分公司。

rece ss ion [rɪ'seʃn] n. .衰退,不景气

branch [brɑːntʃ] n. .分公司

常用英语短语

close in
渐渐变短;从四 面八方逼近并攻击;围绕或笼罩

常用口语句子

The days are closing in now that autumn is here.

秋天来到了,白天渐渐短了。

The enemy is closing in on us.

敌人从四面八方向我们逼近。

Darkness was gradually closing in .

暮色渐渐降临。

gradually ['grædjʊli] adv. .逐渐地

常用英语短语

close on
几乎,差不多;赶上,接近

常用口语句子

She is close on sixty.

她接近六十岁了。

It’s close on midnight.

已近午夜了。

The other car was closing on us fast.

另一辆车几乎和我们一样快了。

常用英语短语

close to
接近;亲近

常用口语句子

The church is close to the school.

教堂离学校很近。

Susan sat on a chair close to the window.

苏珊坐在靠窗户的椅子上。

She is very close to her father.

她和父亲的关系很亲密。

常用英语短语

close up
离(某人/某事物)很近;(伤口)愈合;关闭

常用口语句子

She snuggled close up to him.

她紧紧地挨着他。

The cut took a long time to close up .

伤口经过很长时间才愈合。

Sorry, madam, we’re closing up for lunch.

很抱歉,小姐,我们现在要关门吃午饭。

s nuggle ['snʌgl] v. .依偎,挨近

常用英语短语

come about
发生;改变方向

常用口语句子

Can you tell me how the accident came about ?

你能告诉我事故是怎样发生的吗?

How did it come about that he knew where we were?

他是怎么知道我们在什么地方的呢?

The ship came about and headed for the shore.

轮船调转方向朝海岸驶去。

常用英语短语

come across
偶然遇见或发现;被理解,被传达;使人产生某种印象

常用口语句子

I came across an old school friend in Oxford Street this morning.

今天早上我在牛津大街碰见一位老校友。

He spoke for a long time but his meaning did not really come across .

他讲了很长时间,但他的意思没有人真正理解。

She comes across well in interviews.

她在面试中给人留下很好的印象。

常用英语短语

come afte
跟着……,……之后

常用口语句子

I’ll come afte the meeting if tim permits .

如果时间许可的话,我开完会就来。

If any letters come afte you’ve left, I’ll send them on.

如果你离开后有信来了,我会转寄给你。

She was terrifie that Trevor would come afte her.

她很害怕特雷弗会跟在她后面。

p ermit [pə'mɪt] v. .允许,许可

terri f ed ['terəfaɪd] adj. .害怕的

常用英语短语

come along
一起来;出现;进展

常用口语句子

When the right opportunity comes along , she’ll take it.

待适当的机会来临,她就能抓住。

Is she married?

她结婚了吗?

No. She says she’s waiting for the right man to come along .

没有,她说她在等待着意中人的出现。

Your English is coming along really well.

你的英语进展确实不错。

o pp ortunity [ , ɔpə'tjuːnətɪ] n. .机会,时机

常用英语短语

come and go
来来去去;变化不断

常用口语句子

You are free to come and go as you please.

你来去自便。

The pain in my leg comes and goes .

我的腿有时疼有时不疼。

Governments come and go but does anything really change?

政府换来换去,但有什么真正的改变呢?

常用英语短语

come around
恢复知觉;回来,造访;转变成与别人一致的看法(= come around)

常用口语句子

When she came around her mother was sitting by her bed

她醒来的时候,妈妈正坐在她的床头。

I think there are definitely a lot of tourists

that come around here.

我认为是有很多游客到这里来参观旅游。

常用英语短语

come back
回来;复原;在记忆中重现;又成为流行的、成功的或时髦的

常用口语句子

You came back very late last night.

昨晚你回来得很晚。

It’s all coming back to me now.

现在我全都想起来了。

Miniskirts are starting to come back .

超短裙又开始流行了。

常用英语短语

come by
取得;经过

常用口语句子

Jobs are hard to come by these days.

近来很难找到工作。

I hope that money was honestly come by .

我希望那笔钱来得正当。

How did you come by that scratch on your cheek?

你脸上的抓伤是怎么来的?

hone s tly ['ɒnɪstli] adv. .诚实地,老实地

s cratch [skrætʃ] n. .刮、划、抓等的痕、伤

常用英语短语

come down
下来;下降,跌落;流传

常用口语句子

She came slowly down the stairs.

她慢慢地走下楼来。

It looks as if interest rates will come down again this month.

看起来这个月利率好像又要下降了。

This ring has come down from my

grandmother.

这只戒指是我奶奶传下来的。

常用英语短语

come from
来自,起源于

常用口语句子

She comes from London.

她是伦敦人。

Where do you come from ?

你是什么地方的人?

Milk comes from cows and goats.

常见的奶是牛奶和羊奶。

常用英语短语

come here
来这里

常用口语句子

Come here at once, you little monke !

马上过来,你这个小捣蛋!

Honey, come here and give me your help!

宝贝,到这来帮帮我!

He asked me to come here around ten o’clock.

他要我十点左右来。

li t le monkey .小捣蛋,小调皮蛋

常用英语短语

come in
(潮水)涌向陆地,涨;时兴,流行;可以买到

常用口语句子

The tid was coming in fast.

潮水涨得很快。

Long hair for men came in in the sixties.

男子留长发在六十年代流行。

English strawberries usually come in in late June.

英国草莓通常在六月下旬上市。

t de [taɪd] n. .潮,潮汐

s tra w berry ['strɔːbrɪ] n. .草莓

常用英语短语

come into
继承,取得;进来

常用口语句子

She came into a fortune when her uncle died.

她叔叔死后她继承了财产。

She came into the room and shut the door.

她进到屋子里来,然后关上了门。

Would you come into the bar and have a drink with me?

你愿意进酒吧和我喝一杯吗?

常用英语短语

come of
去掉;举行,发生;成功,达到预期的效果或结果

常用口语句子

These stains won’t come of , I’m afraid.

我看,这些污点去不掉。

When’s the wedding coming of ?

婚礼什么时候举行?

The film doesn’t quite come of .

这部电影不很成功。

常用英语短语

come on
跟着来;逐渐开始;进展;上演;用于祈使句以鼓励某人做某事(尤指促其加速﹑ 努力或试一试)

常用口语句子

I think I have a cold coming on .

我看我要感冒了。

His French has come on a lot since he joined the conversation class.

他自从参加了会话班,法语取得了很大进步。

Come on , we’ll be late for the theatre.

快点吧,我们去戏院要迟到了。

常用英语短语

come out
出来,出现;出版或发表;显出,洗出;解出,解决

常用口语句子

The rain stopped and the sun came out .

雨停了,太阳出来了。

When is her new novel coming out ?

她的新小说何时问世?

Our holiday photos didn’t come out .

我们假日的照片冲洗不出来。

I can’t make this equatio come out .

我不会解这个方程式。

equa t on [ɪ'kweɪʒn] n. .等式,方程式

常用英语短语

come over
从一地(通常为远处)来到另一地;(某种感觉)刺激或影响某人;改变立场或意见等

常用口语句子

Why don’t you come over to England for a holiday?

你怎么不到英国来度假呢?

I can’t think what came over me.

我不知道我是怎么了。

She will never come over to our side.

她绝不会站到我们这边来。

常用英语短语

come round
绕道而来;来到,发生;恢复知觉,苏醒;访问,参观,转变成与别人一致的看法或观点

常用口语句子

The road was blocked so we had to come round by the fields.

道路堵塞了,所以我们只好由田间绕道而来。

Christmas seems to come round quicker every year.

圣诞节似乎一年比一年来得快。

Pour some water on his face he’ll soon come round .

往他脸上泼些水,他很快就能醒过来。

Why don’t you come round this evening?

今晚上你为什么不来呢?

She will never come round to our way of thinking.

她绝不会改变态度与我们的想法一致。

常用英语短语

come through
(经某事物后)还活着;传出;康复

常用口语句子

He has come through two world wars.

他身经两次世界大战,劫后余生。

A message is just coming through .

有消息刚刚传来。

He’s very ill but doctors expect him to come through .

他病得很重,但医生预料他能康复。

常用英语短语

come to
来到;总计为;结果是,终于;苏醒

常用口语句子

She comes to work by bus.

她上班乘公共汽车来。

The bill came to 30.

账款共计30英镑。

The shock made her hesitate for a moment but she quickly came to herself again.

这一打击使她踌躇片刻,但很快就又恢复正.常了。

he s itate ['hezɪteɪt] v. .犹豫,踌躇

常用英语短语

come to an end
结束;用完

常用口语句子

The meeting has come to an end .

会议结束了。

The play came to an end after all.

这场戏总算结束了。

Unfortunately, like all good things, it had to

come to an end .

然而不幸的是天下没有不散的宴席。

常用英语短语

come true
实现

常用口语句子

I hope our dreams come true .

我希望我们的梦想成真。

His dream of being a doctor has come true .

他当医生的愿望实现了。

His dream will come true sooner or later.

他的理想迟早会实现。

常用英语短语

come up
(太阳)升起;发生,出现;被提及

常用口语句子

We watched the sun come up .

我们观看日出。

I’m afraid something urgent has come up ; I won’t be able to see you tonight.

很抱歉,有些急事;今晚不能见你了。

The subject came up in conversation.

这个问题是在谈话中提到的。

urgent ['ɜːdʒənt] adj. .紧急的,迫切的

常用英语短语

come up with
提出,想出;赶上,追上

常用口语句子

She came up with a new idea for increasing sales.

她想出了增加销售量的新主意。

He could not come up with a proper answer.

他想不出一个合适的回答。

I had to run to come up with her.

我不得不跑着去追她。

p ro p er ['prɔpə(r)] adj. .适合的,适当的

常用英语短语

come upon
突然发现,偶然遇到;降临

常用口语句子

We came upon a little cottag just on the edge of the wood.

在森林边上,我们突然看到一座小木屋。

Fear came upon her as she walked along the empty street.

她走在空荡荡的街上,突然产生一种恐惧。

I come upon a group of children playing in the street.

我遇到一群孩子在街上玩耍。

co t age ['kɔtɪdʒ] n. .简陋的小屋

常用英语短语

compare to/with
比作,比较

常用口语句子

A beginner’s painting can’t be compared to that of an expert.

初学者的画不能与专家的相比。

If you compare her work with his, you’ll find hers is much better.

要是把他俩的工作比较一下,就会发现她的好得多。

This cannot compare with that.

这个无法与那个相比。

常用英语短语

content with
使(某人)满足于……

常用口语句子

Are you content with your present salary ?

你对你现在的薪水满意吗?

He is content with such a small success.

他对这样一个小小的成功就感到满足。

He seems to be quite content with his life at present.

他似乎对目前的生活心满意足。

s alary ['sælərɪ] n. .薪金,薪水

常用英语短语

content to
满足,满意,愉快

常用口语句子

He is content to stay in his present job.

他对现在的工作心满意足。

He is content to remain where he is now.

他安于现状。

My explanation seemed to content him.

他好像很满意我的解释。

ex p lana t on [ , eksplə'neɪʃn] n. .解释,讲解,.说明

常用英语短语

contrary to
违反,对抗

常用口语句子

The results were contrary to expectation.

结果与预期的相反。

Contrary to the doctor’s orders, he had gone back to work.

他不听医生的吩咐,又回去工作了。

Contrary to all our expectation , he’s found a well-paid job and a nice girlfriend.

和我们预期的相反,他找到一份薪水高的工资,也找到一个漂亮的女朋友。

ex p ecta t on [ , ekspek'teɪʃn] n. .期待,期望

常用英语短语

cost someone an arm and a leg
花钱很多,代价很大

常用口语句子

The car cost him an arm and a leg .

买这辆车他可花了血本。

It must have cost you an arm and a leg .

你一定为此花了很多钱。

These shoes cost me an arm and a leg .

我花了大价钱买这些鞋子。

常用英语短语

count on
指望,依靠

常用口语句子

You can count on me.

你可以指望我。

Don’t count on a salary increase this year.

别指望今年会加薪。

Don’t count on other people to help you out of trouble.

别指望他人能帮你摆脱困境。

常用英语短语

counter to
与……相反

常用口语句子

Economic trends are running counter to the forecasts .

经济发展趋势与预测的结果截然相反。

We should not act counter to our promise .

我们不应违背自己的诺言。

The facts ran counter to his wishes.

事实与他的意愿相反。

trend [trend] n. .趋势,趋向

f oreca s t ['fɔːkɑːst] n. .预测

p romi s e ['prɔmɪs] n. .承诺,许诺

常用英语短语

cover for
负责或承担(他人的义务或工作)

常用口语句子

I’ll cover for Jane while she’s on holiday.

简休假时我替补她工作。

Can you cover for me on Friday?

星期五能不能请你替我个班?

Can you cover for me at the meeting while I have gone this afternoon?

今天下午我不在时,会议上请你帮我处理一下好吗?

常用英语短语

cover up
盖住,裹住,遮住;掩盖

常用口语句子

She covered her knees up with a blanket .

她把毯子盖在膝盖上。

Do cover up : it’s freezing outside.

衣服穿暖一点:外面冷极了。

The government is trying to cover up the scandal .

政府企图遮掩这件丑闻。

blanket ['blæŋkɪt] n. .毛毯

f ree z ing ['friːzɪŋ] adj. .寒冷的,冰冻的

s candal ['skændl] n. .丑闻

常用英语短语

crazy about
热衷,着迷

常用口语句子

I’m crazy about steam-engines.

我对蒸汽机着了迷。

Dan’s crazy about football.

丹对足球很着迷。

She’s crazy about him, ie loves him a lot.

她为他而神魂颠倒。

常用英语短语

crazy to
荒唐,糊涂, 发昏

常用口语句子

You must be crazy to go walking in such awful weather.

你一定头脑发昏了,这么恶劣的天气还去散步。

She’s crazy to lend him the money.

她把钱借给他,真糊涂。

I must have been crazy to agree to this.

我赞同这件事,我肯定是疯了。

常用英语短语

cross one’s heart
发誓,说真话

常用口语句子

I saw him do it: cross my heart .

我看见他干的,我可以发誓。

I cross my heart to you that it’s true.

我向你发誓那是真的。

Cross my heart , it wasn’t me who broke your bicycle.

我发誓,不是我把你的自行车弄坏的。

常用英语短语

cross one’s finger
祈求成功

常用口语句子

I’m crossing my finger that my proposal will be accepted.

但愿我的建议能被采纳。

Keep your finger crossed !

祈求好运吧!

I didn’t get a ticket this year. Cross my finger .

今年我都没有收到罚单,算我好运。

常用英语短语

cross one’s mind
(想法等)出现,掠过

常用口语句子

It never crossed my mind that she might lose.

我从未想到她会失败。

A sudden thought crossed my mind .

我突然有个想法。

How did that fantasti idea cross your mind ?

你是怎么想到那个妙计的?

f anta st c [fæn'tæstɪk] adj. .了不起的,极好的

常用英语短语

cry out
痛哭;大声呼喊;需要

常用口语句子

Even the smallest movement made him cry out in pain.

即便是最小的动作也会让他痛得大哭。

“Why are you doing this?” she cried out suddenly.

“你为什么做这样的事?”她突然大声喊起来。

This system is crying out for reform .

这种制度急需改革。

re f orm [rɪ'fɔːm] n. .改革

常用英语短语

cry over spilt milk
为已经发生而无法补救的事懊悔

常用口语句子

You’ve broken it now; it’s no use crying over spilt milk !

你现在既已把它损坏了,后悔是没有用的!

You have lost the game but don’t cry over spilt milk .

比赛失败了,但伤心也是徒劳的。

Don’t cry over spilt milk . Let’s bygones be bygones.

不要为不可挽回的失误难过了,过去的就让它过去吧。

bygone s ['baɪgɒnz] n. .过去,过去的事情

常用英语短语

curious about
好奇,想知道

常用口语句子

She’s always so curious about my work.

她总爱打听我的工作。

The boy was curious about everything he saw.

那男孩对所见的一切都感到好奇。

Don’t be so curious about my affairs

不要老是打听我的事!

常用英语短语

cut away
切掉,切除;迅速离开

常用口语句子

They cut away all the dead branches from the tree.

他们把树上的枯枝通通砍掉了。

He cut away the material which he didn’t need.

他把不需要的材料剪裁掉了。

As soon as he saw the policeman, he cut away .

他一看见警察,就赶紧溜掉了。

常用英语短语

cut back
修剪;削减;急忙返回

常用口语句子

Rose bushes shoot again after being cut back .

玫瑰丛修剪后还能再长出新枝。

If we don’t sell more goods, we’ll have to cut back (on) productio .

我们若不能增加货物的销售量,就必须大幅度降低产量。

The manager cut back to his company for the meeting to be held.

经理为参加即将举行的会议而匆匆赶回公司。

p roduc t on [prə'dʌkʃn] n. .产量

常用英语短语

cut down
削减;缩短

常用口语句子

He was asking 400 for the car, but we cut him down to 350.

这辆汽车他要价400英镑,但是我们把价杀到350英镑。

Your article’s too long — please cut it down to 1000 words.

你的文章太长——请把它删减到1000字。

I won’t have a cigarette, thanks — I’m trying to cut down .

谢谢,我不抽烟——我正在尽量少抽。

常用英语短语

cut in
插入;插嘴

常用口语句子

The lorry overtook me and then cut in on me.

那辆卡车超越我的车后,突然插入我前方的位置。

She kept cutting on our conversation.

我们谈话时她老是插嘴。

I think I ought to cut in on what they are doing.

我想我应该对他们所做的事情进行干预。

lorry ['lɔrɪ] n. .卡车

o v ertake [ , əuvə'teɪk] v. .追上,超越

常用英语短语

cut of
切断;断绝;妨碍

常用口语句子

We were cut of in the middle of our conversation.

我们正交谈时,线路被切断了。

Our water supply has been cut of .

我们断水了。

She feels very cut of living in the country.

她生活在乡间感到很闭塞。

The fence cuts of our view of the sea.

篱笆挡住了我们观望大海的视线。

f ence [fens] n. .栅栏,篱笆

常用英语短语

cut out
切除,删去;停止,(两人)相当,相配

常用口语句子

I’m sick of you two squabbling —just cut it out !

你们两个吵来吵去真烦人,快打住吧!

You can cut out the unimportant details.

你可以删掉不重要的细节。

Sally and Michael seem to be cut out for each other.

萨莉和迈克尔看起来很相配。

s quabble ['skwɔbl] v. .大声争吵

常用英语短语

cut short
缩短;突然结束;打断;简而言之

常用口语句子

His hair has been cut short .

他的头发已剪短了。

Sorry, the line was cut short just now.

对不起,刚才电话断了。

He was told to speak briefl ; accordingly he cut short his remarks .

人家叫他说话简短,于是他就长话短说了。

brie f y ['briːfli] adv. .简短地,简略地

accordingly [ə'kɔːdɪŋli] adv. .于是

remark [rɪ'mɑːk] n. .评论,评述

常用英语短语

cut through
抄近路;克服;刺穿

常用口语句子

He cut through a forest to get home.

他穿过树林抄近路回家。

He was determined to cut through the difficulti

他下决心要克服困难。

The cold wind cut through his thin clothes.

寒风穿透他的单薄衣衫。

常用英语短语

cut up
切碎;歼灭;使伤心;谴责

常用口语句子

Please cut up the vegetables very fine

请把蔬菜切成碎末。

He was badly cut up by the death of his son.

他因儿子死了极为悲伤。

I hope he doesn’t cut up rough when I tell him what I’ve done.

我把我做的事情告诉他,但愿他别发火。 f0Mos0sihpynkS9QqrHFT2iQIBZ7EAlkxNAtpdrya8Msy+NzxA9sga6KER0xrkr5

点击中间区域
呼出菜单
上一章
目录
下一章
×