购买
下载掌阅APP,畅读海量书库
立即打开
畅读海量书库
扫码下载掌阅APP

Part 5 Buying Foods 各色食品

Unit 37 Buying Fruits 买水果

Key Words——脱贫词库

yellowish['jeləʊɪʃ]adj.微黄色的,淡黄色的

pear[peə]n.[园艺]梨树;梨子

crispy['krɪspɪ]adj.酥脆的;易碎的

sweet[swiːt]adj.甜的

tangerine[tæn(d)ʒə'riːn]n.橘子

grape[greɪp]n.葡萄

ripe[raɪp]adj.熟的,成熟的

juicy['ʤuːsɪ]adj.多汁的

orchard['ɔːtʃəd]n.果园;果树林

strawberry['strɔːb(ə)rɪ]n.草莓;草莓色

watermelon['wɔːtəmelən]n.西瓜

peach[piːtʃ]n.桃子

tap[tæp]v.轻敲;轻打;装上嘴子;轻拍;轻击

mango['mæŋgəʊ]n.[园艺]芒果

seed[siːd]n.种子

edible['edɪb(ə)l]adj.可食用的

parrot['pærət]n.鹦鹉;学舌者,应声虫

describe[dɪ'skraɪb]v.描述,形容;描绘

acidity[ə'sɪdɪtɪ]n.酸度;酸性

unripe[ʌn'raɪp]adj.生的;未成熟的;未熟的

avocado[,ævə'kɑdo]n.鳄梨;鳄梨树

Key Sentences——从普通到优秀必备黄金句

1) The pears are just in season and taste crispy and sweet.

现在正是产梨的季节,吃起来又脆又甜。

2) The tangerines are going so fast that we have to lay in a fresh stock every two or three days.

这些柑橘卖得很快,我们每隔两三天就添新鲜的。

3) And look, nice fresh grapes and peaches. They are ripe and juicy.

你瞧,多棒多新鲜的葡萄和桃子呀!又熟又多汁。

4) We have wonderful strawberries that were shipped directly to us from the orchard.

我们有顶好的草莓,是直接从果园运过来的。

5) You can tell if the watermelon is sweet by tapping on it.

您可以轻敲西瓜表面辨别西瓜甜不甜。

6) They have yellowish red skin. It's a fruit with one big seed.

他们有黄红色的外皮。是一种中间有核的水果。

7) How do I tell the difference between a ripe one and an unripe one?

我怎么知道哪个是熟了的,哪个是没有熟的?

8) They're similar to an avocado. When the outside feels soft, they're ripe.

它和鳄梨有点像。当外皮变软了,它们就成熟了。

Situation Dialogues——情景对话

对话1

A: Good morning, madam. Anything I can do for you?

早上好,夫人。能为您做些什么吗?

B: Yes, I'd like some grapes, watermelons and peaches. But these don't look quite ripe.

是的,我想买些葡萄,西瓜和桃子。不过,这些看起来不太熟。

A: You are right, madam. These won't be ready until another week or so. But we have some really ripe fruits over there. And look, nice fresh grapes and peaches. They are ripe and juicy.

是的,夫人。这些要过一星期左右才能熟。但那也有一些已经熟了的。你瞧,多棒多新鲜的葡萄和桃子呀!又熟又多汁。

B: Well, they do look wonderful. But are you sure these watermelons are ripe?

嗯,看起来的确挺棒的。你确信这些西瓜熟了吗?

A: I shall say most of them are ripe. You can tell if the watermelon is sweet by tapping on it.

应该说大多数都熟了。您可以轻敲西瓜表面辨别西瓜甜不甜。

B: Would you please choose one for me?

请给我挑一个好吗?

A: Yes, with pleasure… Here you are.

好的,非常乐意……给您。

B: Good! And I want a dozen of peaches and two pounds of grapes. Can I sample a grape?

很好!我还要一打桃子和两磅葡萄,我可以尝颗葡萄吗?

A: Yes, please.

可以,尝一个。

B: Very well, sir. Will there be anything else? I also want some tangerines.

味道不错,先生。还有其他什么水果吗?我想再买些柑橘。

A: Good. We have wonderful tangerines. They are going so fast that we have to lay in a fresh stock every two or three days.

好的,我们的柑橘很棒的,这些柑橘卖得很快,我们每隔两三天就添新鲜的。

B: All right, I'll take two dozen. Could you double-bag everything?

那好,要两打。不错,你能每件东西都用两个袋子装吗?

A: Sure… These altogether cost fifteen dollars.

好的……这些一共是15美元。

对话2

A: Can you tell me about some good deals?

能告诉我这里有没有在打折的产品?

B: The mangoes are on sale today.

今天芒果打折。

A: What exactly are mangoes?

芒果具体是什么样的?

B: They have yellowish red skin. It's a fruit with one big seed.

他们有黄红色的外皮。是一种中间有核的水果。

A: Is the seed edible?

核能吃吗?

B: Maybe if you were a parrot. I wouldn't recommend it.

如果你要是只鹦鹉的话就可以吃了,我不建议吃。

A: How much does a mango cost?

一个芒果多少钱?

B: Normally, they're $2 each. Today, they're only $1 each.

它们通常是2美元一个。今天,它们一个只要1美元。

A: Maybe I won't like the taste.

或许我不是很喜欢芒果的味道。

B: It's hard to describe. They're sweet, but also sort of sour.

这个很难描述。它们很甜,但是会有点酸。

A: How do I tell the difference between a ripe one and an unripe one?

我怎么知道哪个是熟了的,哪个是没有熟的?

B: They're similar to an avocado. When the outside feels soft, they're ripe.

它和鳄梨有点像。当外皮变软了,它们就成熟了。

A: Where do most of them come from?

它们大多产自哪里?

B: These are from Mexico.

它们产自墨西哥。

知识加油站

有关水果的趣味英语

the Big Apple: 纽约城

the apple of one's eye: 掌上明珠

compare apples and oranges:

这个词组的意思是比较两个无法相比的事物(to compare two things that simply can't be compared)。

wrinkled as a prune: prune这个单词有点生,是指李脯,杏脯。而这个词组的意思就是皱纹很多的,满面皱纹的,就像一个李脯似的。

cool as a cucumber: 黄瓜让你想起什么?美容?呵呵,这个词组的意思是十分冷静的,镇定自若的(to be calm and composed)。Although he is guilty of the crime, he sure is cool as a cucumber.(尽管他犯了罪,却还是那么镇定自如。)

a real peach: 极好的,美妙的,不过通常用来讽刺和挖苦人。He is a real peach.(他可真是个大好人啊。)

You are driving me bananas. 你要把我逼疯了。

An apple a day, keeps the doctor away. 一天一个苹果,医生远离我。

go pear-shaped: 搞砸了;

lose one's cherry: (女的)失身;

A black plum is as sweet as a white. 乌梅白梅一样甘甜。

管它黑猫白猫, 抓到耗子便是好猫。

Forbidden fruit is sweet. [谚]禁果最甜;偷玩最乐。

fruitcake: 疯子,神经病

Unit 38 Fresh Vegetables 新鲜蔬菜

Key Words——脱贫词库

vegetable[ˈveʤtəb(ə)l]n.蔬菜;植物

fresh[freʃ]adj.新鲜的;清新的

tomato[təˈmɑːtəʊ]n.番茄,西红柿

pepper[ˈpepə]n.胡椒;辣椒;胡椒粉

cucumber[ˈkjuːkʌmbə]n.黄瓜;胡瓜

bean[biːn]n.豆;青豆

appetitive[ˈæpɪ,taɪtɪv]adj.食欲的;有食欲的;开胃的

organic[ɔːˈgænɪk]adj.[有化]有机的;组织的

eggplant[ˈegplɑːnt]n.茄子

cabbage[ˈkæbɪʤ]n.卷心菜,甘蓝菜,洋白菜

press[pres]v.压;按;逼迫

carrot[ˈkærət]n.胡萝卜

celery[ˈselərɪ]n.[园艺]芹菜

spinage[ˈspɪnɪʤ]n.菠菜

cauliflower[ˈkɒlɪflaʊə]n.花椰菜,菜花

truffle[ˈtrʌf(ə)l]n.[植]松露;块菌

vegetarian[veʤɪˈteərɪən]n.素食者;食草动物

cancer[ˈkænsə]n.癌症;恶性肿瘤

antioxidant[æntɪˈɒksɪd(ə)nt]n.[助剂]抗氧化剂;硬化防止剂

phytochemical[faɪtəʊˈkemɪk(ə)l]adj.植物化学的;植物化学成分

vitamins[ˈvɪtəmɪnz]n.维生素;维他命

fiber[ˈfaɪbɚ]n.纤维;光纤

digestion[daɪˈʤestʃ(ə)n]n.消化

elimination[ɪ,lɪmɪˈneɪʃən]n.消除;淘汰;除去

source[sɔːs]n.来源;源泉

Key Sentences——从普通到优秀必备黄金句

1) Do you want some vegetables?

你想要一些蔬菜吗?

2) You are just coming in the right time. The vegetables just came in a moment ago. They are all fresh.

你来的可真是时候。我们的蔬菜是刚进来的。它们都很新鲜。

3) We have many kinds of vegetables. Such as tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, beans.

我们有很多种蔬菜,例如西红柿、甜椒、黄瓜、菜豆等等。

4) I'd like to have some vegetables with a lot green leaves. I think they make me more appetitive.

我想要一些有很多绿叶的蔬菜,它们能使我更有食欲。

5) All sorts of fresh organic vegetables-eggplants, cucumbers, cabbages, tomatoes…Walk right in, you'll not be pressed to buy.

茄子,黄瓜,卷心菜,西红柿……各种新鲜有机蔬菜随意购买。

6) The price of vegetables fluctuates according to the weather.

蔬菜价格随着天气变化而波动。

7) You should eat vegetables as carrot, celery and spinage.

你应该多吃胡萝卜,芹菜和菠菜这类的蔬菜。

8) The most popular vegetables are potatoes, carrots, peas and cauliflower.

最常吃的蔬菜是土豆,胡萝卜,青豆和花椰菜。

9) With a diet rich in antioxidants, phytochemical and vitamins, vegetarians naturally lower their risk of cancer and other diseases.

素食中含有大量的抗氧化成分、植物营养素和维生素,这些都能帮助素食主义者降低罹患癌症和其他疾病的风险。

10) Plant-based foods and fresh fruits are rich in fiber, improving the digestion and elimination process.

果蔬中含有丰富的纤维,有利于改善消化功能。

11) Diets rich in water and plant-based foods are a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins, ideal choice for a healthy skin in every season.

蔬菜中含有大量水分,是抗氧化成分和维生素的丰富来源,这对于时刻拥有更健康的肌肤来说是非常理想的选择。

Situation Dialogues——情景对话

对话1

A: Can I help you?

您想要买什么?

B: I'd like to have a look.

我只想随便看看。

A: Do you like some vegetables?

你想要一些蔬菜吗?

B: I could also buy some apples if they're nice.

如果苹果不错的话,我也可以买一些。

A: Yeah. You are just coming in the right time. The vegetables just came in a moment ago. They are all fresh.

耶,你来的可真是时候。我们的蔬菜是刚进的。它们都很新鲜。

B: Oh, let me have a look. What kind of vege-tables do you have?

哦,让我看看。你们都有什么蔬菜?

A: We have many kinds of vegetables. Such as tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, beans and so on.

我们有很多种蔬菜,例如西红柿、甜椒、菜豆等等。

B: That sounds good. But I'd like to have some vegetables with a lot green leaves. I think they make me more appetitive.

听起来不错。但我想要一些有很多绿叶的蔬菜,它们能使我更有食欲。

A: You are right. And they are good for our health. For green leaf vegetables, we have celery, cress, chive and cabbages.

您说的对,它们对我们的健康也很有好处。至于绿叶蔬菜,我们有芹菜,水田芥,细香葱和卷心菜。

B: I'd like to have some cress. I like cress very much.

我想要点水田芥。我很喜欢吃它的。

A: OK. How much would you like to have?

好的,您想要多少?

B: One kilogram.

1公斤。

对话2

A: Excuse me, how much is the cauliflower?

请问,花椰菜怎么卖?

B: 6 yuan per kilogram.

每公斤6元钱。

A: That's too expensive. What about the truffle?

太贵了。松露怎么卖?

B: The same.

一样的价钱。

A: How about 5 yuan a kilogram? I come here all the time.

五元一斤怎么样啊?我总是来你这里买菜呢。

B: Come on. I only have a small margin here. How much do you want?

别呀!您总不能让我亏本吧。您想买多少呢?

A: Two kilograms of cauliflower and one kilogram of truffle.

2公斤的花椰菜和1公斤松露。

B: All right, all right. Sold. Goes for 15 Yuan.

好吧,卖您了。一共15元。

A: Here's 20 yuan, please.

给您20元钱。

B: Here is your change. Anything else?

找您零钱。还要别的吗?

A: How much is the spinage?

请问菠菜怎么卖?

B: Sorry, we sold out all the spinage.

对不起,菠菜已经全部卖完了。

A: Thanks anyway.

谢谢。

知识加油站

The benefits of eating more vegetables

While some people can't imagine a day without meat, others insist that a vegetarian is the best way to enjoy food and stay healthy. If you're still on the fence about diving into earth and animal-friendly menus, consider the benefits of adopting the lifestyle before making the final decision. Here's a look at just five benefits of being a vegetarian:

1. Lower the risk of cancer. With a diet rich in antioxidants, phytochemical and vitamins, vegetarians naturally lower their risk of cancer and other diseases. Meat eaters, especially those that indulge in fatty meats are at a much higher risk of cancer.

2. Prevention of Type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is becoming more common with the rise of obesity around the world, and vegetarian diets may even prevent it by including complex carbs and fiber that help the body manage insulin more efficiently.

3. Healthy skin. Diets rich in water and plant-based foods are a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins, ideal choice for a healthy skin in every season.

4. Low or no saturated fat. Vegetarian menus typically use all-natural oils and cooking methods to enhance flavor. This is free of unhealthy saturated fat which can lead to a variety of heart problems and cardiovascular disease.

5. Hormone-free eating. Fruits, vegetables, and soy products are never injected with growth hormones and other chemicals that may harm the human body.

多吃蔬菜的好处

有些人很难想象一天不吃肉会是什么样子,而另一些人则坚持认为吃素是享受食物、保持健康的最佳方法。如果你还在犹豫要不要一头扎进一个更有益于保护地球和动物的菜单的话,那就在做决定前想想吃素的好处。以下五条都是吃素可以带来的益处:

1. 降低患癌症的风险。素食中含有大量的抗氧化成分、植物营养素和维生素,这些都能帮助素食主义者降低罹患癌症和其他疾病的风险。另一方面,喜欢吃肉的人,尤其是那些喜欢吃肥肉的人,患上癌症的机率则要更高。

2. 预防II型糖尿病。随着世界范围内肥胖者的增多,II型糖尿病也越来越普遍了。素食中包含多种碳水化合物和纤维,能够帮助身体更有效地分泌胰岛素,从而预防II型糖尿病。

3. 拥有健康的肌肤。蔬菜中含有大量水分,是抗氧化成分和维生素的丰富来源,这对于时刻拥有更健康的肌肤来说是非常理想的选择。

4. 不含有或含有少量饱和脂肪。素食的烹饪一般采用植物油来提升食物的风味。这就避免了摄入不健康的饱和脂肪。饱和脂肪会引起各种心脏和心血管疾病。

5. 避免吃到激素。水果、蔬菜和豆类不会被注射那些影响人体健康的生长激素和其他化学物质。

Unit 39 Flavorful Meat 飘香肉食

Key Words——脱贫词库

meat[miːt]n.肉,肉类

beef[biːf]n.牛肉

veal[viːl]n.小牛(等于vealer);小牛肉

lamb[læm]n.羔羊,小羊;羔羊肉

sirloin[ˈsɜːlɒɪn]n.牛的上部腰肉;牛里脊肉

steak[steɪk]n.牛排;肉排;鱼排

chop[tʃɒp]n.砍;排骨

cutlet[ˈkʌtlɪt]n.肉片;炸肉排;炸肉片

stew[stjuː]v.炖,炖汤;焖;忧虑;受闷热

roast[rəʊst]v.烤,焙;烘,烘烤

pork[pɔːk]n.猪肉

ham[hæm]n.火腿

bacon[ˈbeɪk(ə)n]n.咸肉;腌肉;熏猪肉

pudding[ˈpʊdɪŋ]n.布丁

sausage[ˈsɒsɪʤ]n.香肠;腊肠

chicken[ˈtʃɪkɪn]n.鸡肉;小鸡;胆小鬼,懦夫

turkey[ˈtɜːkɪ]n.火鸡

duck[dʌk]n.鸭子;鸭肉

fish[fɪʃ]n.鱼

gigot[ˈʤɪgət]n.羊腿

tenderloin[ˈtendəlɒɪn]n.(牛、羊)腰部嫩肉

mutton[ˈmʌt(ə)n]n.羊肉

Key Sentences——从普通到优秀必备黄金句

1) I want to buy some meat. Any fresh meat here?

我想买些肉。这里有新鲜的肉吗?

2) Do you want any meat?

您想要点肉吗?

3) What about some steak? This is a nice piece.

来些牛排好吗?这块很好。

4) What kind of meat would you like to have?

您想要什么肉?

5) The sausage here are very delicious.

这儿的香肠很美味。

6) This lamb's very good.

这块羔羊肉很好。

7) Big turkeys for Thanksgiving are on sale now.

感恩节大火鸡正促销呢。

8) Beijing Duck is very tasty and famous all over the world.

北京烤鸭很美味而且世界闻名。

Situation Dialogues——情景对话

对话1

S: What can I do for you, madam?

售货员:太太。需要帮忙吗?

A: I want to buy some meat. Any fresh meat here?

安迪:我想买些肉。这里有新鲜的肉吗?

S: Yes, this way, please. What kind of meat would you like to have?

售货员:这边请。您想要什么肉?

A: I'd like to have some chicken and beef. How much per kilo?

安迪:我想来点鸡肉和牛肉。多少钱一公斤?

S: 50 yuan for chicken and 68 yuan for beef.

售货员:鸡肉50元每公斤,牛肉68元每公斤。

A: OK. I will take two kilos beef and one kilo chicken. Will you please wrap up the meat for me?

安迪:好的。我买两公斤牛肉和一公斤鸡肉。你替我把肉包起来好吗?

S: No problem. Here you are.

售货员:没问题。给您。

A: Thanks. And here is the money.

安迪:谢谢。给你钱。

S: Ok. It's 186 yuan together. And you give me 200 yuan. I have to return you 14 yuan change. Here you are.

售货员:好的,一共是186元。你给我200元,我要还给你14元的找零。给你。

A: Yes. Thank you and goodbye.

安迪:是的。谢谢。再见。

S: Goodbye and welcome back.

售货员:再见,欢迎再来。

对话2

A: Do you want any meat today, Mrs. Bird?

波德太太,你今天要点肉吗?

B: Yes, please.

是的。

A: This lamb's very good.

这块羔羊肉很好。

B: I like lamb, but my husband doesn't.

我喜欢吃羔羊肉。但我丈夫不喜欢。

A: What about some steak? This is a nice piece.

来些牛排好吗?这块很好。

B: Give me that piece, please. And some mince, too.

请给我那一块吧。我还要一些肉馅。

A: OK. How much would you like to have?

您想要多少呢?

B: I'd like to have two kilograms.

我想要两公斤。

A: OK. Two kilograms … Here you are.

好的。两公斤……给您。

B: How much are they, altogether?

一共多少钱?

A: Let me see, please. It's 120 yuan altogether.

请让我先算一下。一共120元。

B: Here is the money.

给你钱。

A: Thanks, and welcome back again.

多谢,欢迎再来。

知识加油站

美国人民爱烧烤

要了解美国文化可以从烧烤开始。每年五月的最后一个星期一是阵亡将士纪念日,人们除了纪念阵亡将士,向所有的军人致敬以外,这一天也标志着夏季烧烤活动的正式开始。

烧烤虽然不是美国人的专利,但美国人热爱烧烤可是不争的事实。

您看这些数字:84%的美国人说,他们一个月至少烧烤两次,62%的人每星期至少烧烤一次。

他们都喜欢烤什么呢?其实几乎任何食品都可以用来烧烤。不过据统计,汉堡最受欢迎,有70%的人说他们最常烧烤的就是汉堡。63%的人喜欢鸡肉,至于最传统的美国食品热狗,支持率为47%。喜欢吃烤鱼的人只有12%。

烧烤的技巧可是门大学问。这里不进行深入探讨,不过有一点要记住,肉类要事先在调料里腌一下,时间从几分钟到几小时不等,这样烤起来才会又香又嫩。

至于烧烤的工具就更复杂了。现在用煤气烧烤的人越来越多,因为方便;不过也有很多人喜欢比较传统的煤炭烧烤炉,因为烤出来的肉带有煤炭的香味,更地道。

从价钱来说,普通人花个一两百美元或者四五百美元就能买个很不错的煤气炉。不过现在有一些高档烧烤炉要上万美元。这种炉子也不一定能做出山珍海味吧?

美国人为什么喜欢烧烤?至少有以下三点:

第一,在一个微风轻拂的夏日,就像今天这样,亲朋好友聚在后院,围着烧烤炉边聊天,边烧烤;众人还可以七嘴八舌出主意,怎么把这肉烤得更香一点儿。这种融洽、无拘无束的气氛哪里是豪华大饭店能比的呢?而且你能想象在厨房里一个家庭主妇做饭的时候一堆人围着她指指点点吗?

第二,男人多数不喜欢下厨房,可是说起烧烤,立刻精神抖擞。

第三,在原始社会,火是人类最重要的生存手段。我们在烧烤的时候有机会直接与火接触,我觉得这能令人产生一种回归大自然的远古情怀。

今天这样的日子里,您要是到居民区走一走,保证会看到很多人家在烧烤,空气中飘的都是烤肉的香味。

Unit 40 Good Tea 芳香茶品

Key Words——脱贫词库

variety[və'raɪətɪ]n.多样;种类

flavor['fleɪvə]n.风味;香料;滋味

jasmine['ʤæzmɪn]n.茉莉;淡黄色

regular['regjʊlə]adj.定期的;有规律的

benefit['benɪfɪt]n.利益,好处;救济金v.有益于,对……有益;受益,得益

bacteria[bæk'tɪərɪə]n.[微]细菌

relax[rɪ'læks]v.放松,休息;变从容;休养;使休息;使松弛;缓和;使松懈

mind[maɪnd]n.理智,精神

quench[kwen(t)ʃ]v.解渴

thirst[θɜːst]n.渴望;口渴;热望

relieve[rɪ'liːv]v.解除,减轻

risk[rɪsk]n.风险;危险;冒险

stomach['stʌmək]n.胃;腹部;胃口

esophageal[iː,sɒ'fəʤiːəl]adj.食管的;食道的

liver['lɪvə]n.肝脏

cancer['kænsə]n.癌症;恶性肿瘤

mellow['meləʊ]adj.圆润的,柔和的;成熟的;芳醇的

digestion[daɪ'ʤestʃ(ə)n]n.消化

palate['pælət]n.味觉;上颚;趣味

aroma[ə'rəʊmə]n.芳香

pure[pjʊə]adj.纯的;纯粹的;纯洁的

unadulterated[ʌnə'dʌltəreɪtɪd]adj.纯粹的;完全的;无搀杂的

iced[aɪst]adj.冰冻的;冰冷的;装冰的

gram[ɡræm]n.克

Key Sentences——从普通到优秀必备黄金句

1) We have a great variety of famous tea here. Please have a look.

我们这里供应各种名茶。请随便看一下。

2) We have different flavors.

我们备有不同风味。

3) We have various kinds of tea, such as black tea, green tea, jasmine tea, etc.

我们备有各种茶,如红茶,绿茶,茉莉花茶等。

4) Chinese green tea is always a favorite with our customers.

绿茶很受顾客的喜爱。

5) The regular drinking of green tea improves one's health.

常喝绿茶,改善健康。

6) It benefits the eyes and relaxes the mind to drink green tea often.

常喝绿茶,能明目怡神。

7) Green tea can slow the growth of bacteria in the mouth.

绿茶可以抑制口腔细菌生长。

8) Green tea can quench thirst and relieve summer heat.

绿茶能解渴消暑。

9) Drinking green tea daily can lower the risk of stomach, esophageal and liver cancers.

每天饮用绿茶能够降低胃癌,食管癌和肝癌的患病率。

10) Longjing tea is pure and fragrant and has a sweetish and mellow taste and a world-wide reputation.

龙井茶清纯芬芳,甘美香醇,饮誉五洲。

11) The black tea tastes strong and promotes digestion.

红茶味浓,有助消化。

12) Biluochun, the famous Chinese tea, is pleasant to the palate.

中国名茶——碧螺春,清香爽口。

13) Iced tea will quench your thirst on hot days.

冰镇茶在热天可以解渴。

14) The best is pu'er you should not miss. The taste is mellow, aroma pure and unadulterated.

你不能错过的好茶就是宫廷普洱,滋味醇和,香气纯正。

Situation Dialogues——情景对话

对话1

A: Can I help you, sir?

我能效劳吗,先生?

B: I'm looking for some Chinese tea. My friends told me I should not leave without a bag of Chinese green tea.

我在找中国茶叶,我的朋友告诉我,离开前一定要买包中国绿茶。

A: This way, please. I'm sure you'll like it. Here we are, sir.

这边请。我相信你一定会喜欢的。这里就是了,先生。

A: We've got different flavors.

我们备有不同风味的茶叶。

B: How do you sell it?

你们是怎样卖的?

A: We sell it by grams. We also have boxes of tea in different quantity for your choose.

我们是按克卖的。我们也有大小不一的盒装茶供您选择。

B: Can you tell me the weight in the different boxes?

您能告诉我不同盒装的准确重量吗?

A: Yes, with pleasure. We have 50g, 100g boxes.

当然。我们有50克和100克的。

B: OK. I will take a box of 50g.

好的,我就要一盒50克的。

A: It's 50 yuan for this box.

这盒50元。

B: OK. Here is the money.

好的,给你钱。

对话2

A: Can I be of any assistance to you?

能为您提供些帮助吗?

B: I'd like to buy some tea.

我想买些茶。

A: We've got various kinds of tea, such as black tea, green tea, jasmine tea, etc. And we've got tea of different origins, such as Fujian tea, Yunnan tea, etc.

我们有各种各样的茶,如红茶,绿茶,茉莉花茶等。我们的茶来自各个产地,像福建茶,云南茶等。

B: I've never seen black tea. Can you show it to me?

我从没见过红茶。能否让我看一下。

A: Here it is. It's reddish in color. That's why we Chinese call it “red tea”.

看吧。颜色有点泛红,那就是为什么中国人叫它红茶的原因。

B: I'm used to green tea. Many experts say green tea is the best, rich in vitamin and many nutrients.

我习惯喝绿茶。许多专家都说绿茶是最好的茶,含有丰富的维生素和许多营养成分。

A: That's true. However, some people prefer jasmine tea. They think it is more fragrant and pleasant.

没错。不过有些人喜欢茉莉花茶。他们认为花茶更香更怡人。

B: Different people have different views. That's why our life is so colorful.

不同的人看法也不同。那就是为什么我们的生活多姿多彩的原因。

A: Which origin do you prefer?

您喜欢哪个地方的茶?

B: I want some Tieguanyin from Fujian province, sir.

先生,我想买些福建铁观音茶。

A: OK. Here you are.

好的。给您。

B: Thank you. Here is the money.

谢谢。给你钱。

知识加油站

茶叶分类

Classification according to the degree of fermentation, rolling, baking and tea leaf maturity.

根据制造时发酵,揉捻焙火与采摘时原料成熟度来分类:

Non-fermented 不发酵茶,即绿茶

Post-fermented 后发酵茶 即普洱茶

Partially fermented 部分发酵茶,半发酵茶,即乌龙茶

Complete fermentation 全发酵茶,即红茶

(1)绿茶分类术语:

Steamed green tea 蒸青绿茶

Powdered green tea 粉末绿茶

Silver needle green tea 银针绿茶

Lightly rubbed green tea 原形绿茶

Curled green tea 松卷绿茶

Sword shaped green tea 剑片绿茶

Twisted green tea 条形绿茶

Pearled green tea 圆珠绿茶

(2)普洱茶分类术语:

Age-puer 陈放普洱

Pile-fermented puer 渥堆普洱

(3)乌龙茶分类术语:

White oolong 白茶乌龙

Twisted oolong 条形乌龙

Pelleted oolong 球形乌龙

Roasted oolong 熟火乌龙

White tipped oolong 白毫乌龙

(4)红茶分类术语:

Unshredded black tea 功夫红茶

Shredded black tea 碎形红茶

(5)熏花茶分类术语:

Scented green tea 熏花绿茶

Scented puer tea 熏花普洱

Scented oolong tea 熏花乌龙

Scented black tea 熏花红茶

Jasmine scented green tea 熏花茉莉

上述各类如果加入食品或香料,就成为调味茶(spiced tea),如果加入绿茶,则成为调味绿茶(spiced green tea),以此类推。

Unit 41 Beverages 酒水饮料

Key Words——脱贫词库

beverage['bev(ə)rɪʤ]n.饮料

domestic[də'mestɪk]adj.国内的;家庭的

wine[waɪn]n.酒,葡萄酒;紫红色

liquor['lɪkə]n.酒,含酒精饮料;溶液;液体;烈酒

spirit['spɪrɪt]n.精神;烈酒

occasionally[ə'keɪʒ(ə)n(ə)lɪ]adv.偶尔;间或

refresh[rɪ'freʃ]v.更新;使……恢复;使……清新;消除……的疲劳

sober['səʊbə]adj.冷静的,清醒的;未醉的

behind[bɪ'haɪnd]prep.在……后面

wheel[wiːl]n.车轮;方向盘

couple['kʌp(ə)l]n.对;夫妇;数个

beer[bɪə]n.啤酒

sugar['ʃʊgə]n.糖;食糖;甜言蜜语

agree[ə'griː]v.同意;赞成;承认

appetizing['æpə'taɪzɪŋ]adj.开胃的;促进食欲的

alcoholic[ælkə'hɒlɪk]n.酒鬼,酗酒者adj.酒精的,含酒精的

bitter['bɪtə]n.苦味;苦啤酒adj.苦的;痛苦的

concentrated['kɒnsntreɪtɪd]adj.集中的;浓缩的

espresso[e'spresəʊ]n.(用汽加压煮出的)浓咖啡

brew[bruː]v.酿造;酝酿

fresh-brewedadj.现煮的

lager['lɑːgə]n.(美)贮藏啤酒;淡啤酒

mineral['mɪn(ə)r(ə)l]n.矿物;(英)矿泉水;无机物adj.矿物的;矿质的

mineral water矿泉水

pearl[pɜːl]n.珍珠;珍珠色

pearl milk tea珍珠奶茶

mild[maɪld]adj.温和的;轻微的;淡味的;文雅的;不含有害物质的

cherry['tʃerɪ]n.樱桃

juice[ʤuːs]n.(水果)汁,液;果汁

champagne[ʃæm'peɪn]n.香槟酒

Key Sentences——从普通到优秀必备黄金句

1) There are all sorts of beverages in our supermarket, both domestic and imported.

我们超市有各种饮料,包括国产和进口的。

2) The famous old wine made from grapes is of world-class quality.

著名陈年葡萄酒具有世界级品质。

3) The Chinese Mao-tai liquor enjoys a reputation in the international market.

中国茅台酒在国际市场上享有盛誉。

4) We have the best brand of wines and spirits.

我们有各种名牌葡萄酒和烈性酒。

5) Experts say that a glass of red wine occasionally will benefit one's health.

专家说偶尔喝杯红酒对人身体有好处。

6) Too much tea will brown your teeth, but it's good for your health.

多喝茶会让你的牙齿变黄,但是对你的身体有好处。

7) Do you want some ice in your drink?

要加冰吗?

8) Nothing's as refreshing as ice-cold drinks on a hot day.

在大热天没有什么能够像冰饮料那样让人神清气爽。

9) Without coffee, I could never get up in the morning.

没有咖啡,我早上就起不了床。

10) I'm not letting you get behind the wheel until you've sobered up.

除非你完全清醒了,我才会让你开车。

11) I have had a couple of beers.

我已经喝了两三瓶啤酒了。

12) Do you want some iced tea?

你想喝冰茶吗?

13) Would you like to add a little sugar?

您要加一点点糖吗?

14) Cold drinks don't agree with my sto-mach.

我的胃受不了冷饮。

15) The cooler, the better.

越凉越好。

16) It's appetizing and tasty.

又开胃又可口。

17) You can say that again.

我完全同意。

Situation Dialogues——情景对话

对话1

A: Good afternoon, sir. Can I help you?

下午好,先生。需要帮忙吗?

B: Yes. I'm attending a dinner party this evening. I want to bring some wine. I'd like to have something really Chinese.

是的。我今天晚上要去参加一个宴会。我想买些酒。我想要纯正的中国酒。

A: You are coming in the right place. We have mild wines and strong liquors. What kind do you prefer?

您真是来对地方了。我们有温和绵柔型和高度的烈性酒。您更喜欢哪一种呢?

B: I have no idea. I'd like to listen to you.

我不知道。我想听听你的看法。

A: My pleasure. Actually it's hard to say as individual tastes differ. I'd like to recommend Moutai and Shanxi Fenjiu.

很高兴能帮您。实际上很难说那种更好,因为每个人的口味不同。我还是向你推荐茅台和山西汾酒。

B: I've had Moutai before. That was too strong, I'm afraid.

我以前喝过茅台。恐怕度数太高了。

A: Then you'll feel fully satisfied with Shanxi Fenjiu. It's mild and with a frangrance.

那么您对山西汾酒肯定会满意的,它是浓郁绵柔型的。

B: OK, I'll take it. How do you sell it?

好的,我就要汾酒了。你们怎么卖?

A: It's stored in jars or bottles.

它有瓶装和坛装的两种。

B:Then give me two jars.

那给我来两坛吧。

A: OK. Let me wrap it for you. Then it's convenient for you to carry.

好的。我来给您装一下。这样您方便拿。

B: Thanks a lot.

多谢。

A: It's my pleasure.

不客气。

对话2

A: Welcome to our store. Can I help you?

欢迎光临我们商店。需要帮忙吗?

B: Yes, I'd like to have some drinks.

是的,我想买些饮料。

A: We have many kinds of drinks. What would you like to have, soft or strong?

我们有很多种饮料,您想要哪种呢?软饮料还是酒精饮料?

B: Both. You know, we are having a dinner party tonight. Many friends as well as their children are coming.

两种都要。你知道,今晚我家要举办一个宴会。我的很多朋友和他们的孩子都要过来。

A: OK. What do you prefer for adults?

哦,您想给成年人准备什么饮料呢?

B: Beer for men, but I don't know what for ladies.

男士喝啤酒吧,但我不知道给女士们准备什么好。

A: What about grape wine or champagne? They are suitable for women very much.

葡萄酒或者香槟怎样?对女士来说是很适合的。

B: Yes, then I'd like to have some champagne.

是的,就来香槟吧。

A: What for children? We have many kinds of soft drinks. Such as fruit juice, tea, milk, vegetable juice, coco cola, mineral water, etc.

孩子们喝什么呢?我们有很多的软饮料。例如果汁,茶,牛奶,蔬菜汁,可口可乐,矿泉水等等。

B: Oh. I'd like some fruit juice. It's good for children.

哦,我想要些果汁吧,这适合孩子们。

A: Yes. You can say that again.

是的。您说得太对了。

B: So I'd like to have four dozen beers, two dozen champagne, one dozen blueberry juice and a dozen cherry juice. Will you deliver them to my house?

好,我要四打啤酒,两打香槟,还有一打蓝莓汁和一打樱桃汁。你们负责送货上门吗?

B: Yes. Write down your address, and we'll deliver them as soon as possible.

是的。把您的地址写下来。我们会尽快送货的。

A: Thanks. And here is the money.

多谢。给你钱。

B: That's all right and welcome again.

不客气,欢迎再次光临。

知识加油站

cocktail 鸡尾酒的名字从何而来?

鸡尾酒,指将酒和果汁掺在一起的混合饮料,也可指带有大麻烟头的香烟。

鸡尾酒名称的来历,说法不一。传说古代美洲有一位公主,调了一杯自制的饮料献给国王。国王喜爱这种饮料,并以公主的名字(Xochitl)给酒起名,以后逐渐演变成cocktail(鸡尾酒)。还有人说,美国独立战争时期,有一家酒馆的女招待用从公鸡尾巴上拔下的毛,搅匀由几种酒掺在一起的酒,由此而得名。鸡尾酒会(cocktail party)是一种社交活动。这种酒会气氛轻松,活动自由,大部分人拿着点心和饮料站着交谈。酒会可以迟到、早退,不拘形式,是美国人经常在周末或节假日举办的活动。在美国吸毒者的俚语中,cocktail可指带有大麻烟头(roach)的香烟。下面是一些浪漫的鸡尾酒名称,你听说过几种?

Punch Royal 皇家宾治 Blue Margarita 蓝色玛格丽特
Sex on the beach 性感沙滩 Traffic Light 红绿灯
French Kiss 浪漫之吻 Grape Shot 葡萄美酒夜光杯
Chocolate Martini 巧克力马提尼 Gold Margarita 情人的眼泪
Rainbow Cocktail 彩虹鸡尾酒 Lady in Red 红衣女郎
Black Widow 黑寡妇 Blood and Sand 血与沙
Angel's Kiss 天使之吻 Alexander 亚历山大
Golden Dream 黄金梦 God Father 教父
Bloody Mary 血腥玛丽 Pink Lady 红粉佳人
Olympic 奥林匹克

Unit 42 Snacks and Pastries 零食糕点

Key Words——脱贫词库

chocolate['tʃɒk(ə)lət]n.巧克力,巧克力糖;巧克力色

vacuum['vækjʊəm]n.真空;空间adj.真空的;利用真空的;产生真空的

pastry['peɪstrɪ]n.油酥点心;面粉糕饼

grease[griːs]n.油脂

wheat[wiːt]n.小麦;小麦色

nutritious[njʊ'trɪʃəs]adj.有营养的,滋养的

vanilla[və'nɪlə]n.香子兰,香草adj.香草味的

croissant[krwɑːsɒŋ]n.羊角面包;(法)新月形面包

muffin['mʌfɪn]n.(涂牛油趁热吃的)英格兰松饼,(常含小块水果等)杯状小松糕

loaf[ləʊf]n.条,一条面包

sourdough['saʊədəʊ]n.酵母

slice[slaɪs]n.薄片;部分;菜刀,火铲v.切下;把……分成部分;将……切成薄片

inside[ɪn'saɪd]n.里面;内部adj.里面的;内部的;秘密的

mooncake['mu:nkeik]n.月饼

Mid-Autumn Day中秋节

salad['sæləd]n.色拉;尤指莴苣

happiness['hæpɪnɪs]n.幸福

puffy['pʌfɪ]adj.胀大的;蓬松的

palatable['pælətəb(ə)l]adj.美味的,可口的;愉快的

stuffing['stʌfɪŋ]n.馅子;填料,填塞物

Key Sentences——从普通到优秀必备黄金句

1) Most biscuits are vacuum-packed to keep them fresh.

大部分的饼干式真空包装的,以保持新鲜。

2) The feature of our pastry is that it contains no grease and tastes good.

本店糕点特色:不含油脂,口味棒。

3) Chocolate-covered wheat toasts are healthy and nutritious.

涂有巧克力的烤全麦面包片既有利于健康又有营养。

4) First, you should choose a cake you like, tell us what you want written on it, and then we'll see if it's possible.

首先,您先选个喜欢的蛋糕。然后告诉我们您想在上面写什么,我们看能不能写。

5) This cake serves 20 and has strawberries inside.

这款蛋糕里面是草莓的,够二十个人吃。

6) Would you like to have the loaf sliced?

您要的面包要切片吗?

7) We have various birthday cakes and also ice cream cakes.

我们有各式的生日蛋糕和冰淇淋蛋糕。

8) The skin of the Cantonese style cakes is sweet, soft, puffy and palatable, and fiiled with heavy stuffing.

广系蛋糕外皮酥甜、蓬松,馅多味美。

9) The skin of the Suzhou cakes is puffy and filled with fragrant nuts.

苏州糕点表皮松软,里面填充着香喷喷的干果。

10) The mooncakes are round, just like

the moon at the Chinese Mid-Autumn-Day night. They are the symbol of all the family members getting together with happiness.

月饼是圆的, 就像中国中秋节晚上的月亮。他们象征着家人的幸福团圆。

11) How do you like your cake done? What dressing? Cream or salad?

您的蛋糕怎么做?外面覆盖什么?奶油还是沙拉?

Situation Dialogues——情景对话

对话1

A: Hi, do you guys make special order cakes?

嗨,你们这里可以定做蛋糕吗?

B: We do. First, you should choose a cake you like, tell us what you want written on it, and then we'll see if it's possible.

可以。首先,您先选个喜欢的蛋糕。然后告诉我们您想在上面写什么,我们看能不能写。

A: I want something that doesn't have chocolate. Maybe vanilla creme and fruit?

我不要巧克力的……香草和水果有么?

B: Is this for a party or...?

是聚会用还是……?

A: Yeah, it's for a big party.

对,是要在大聚会上用的。

B: This cake serves 20 and has strawberries inside.

这款蛋糕里面是草莓的,够二十个人吃。

A: That's just what I need.

就是它了。

B: How do you like your cake? What dressing? Cream or salad?

你想要您的蛋糕怎么做?外面覆盖什么?奶油还是沙拉?

A: Salad. When will it be ready?

沙拉。什么时候能做好?

B: It will be ready soon. About half an hour later.

很快,大约半小时吧。

A: Oh, that's fine. I'll be back for it half an hour later.

哦,很好。那我半小时后来取。

B: OK. Then the cake will be ready. See you la-ter.

好的。半小时后见。

A: See you later.

一会见。

对话2

A: Welcome to Al's Bakery. What can I get for you?

欢迎来到艾尔面包店。我能为你做些什么?

B: Hi! Let me get a dozen croissants, four blueberry muffins and a loaf of sourdough bread.

嗨!给我来一打羊角面包,4个蓝莓的松饼和一条面包。

A: Sure. Would you like to have the loaf sliced?

好的。您要的面包要切片吗?

B: No, that's OK. Do you have any whole wheat bread?

不,这样就好了。这里有全麦面包吗?

A: We are out at the moment. May I suggest some rye bread?

现在没有。黑麦面包需要吗?

B: OK. That sounds good. Do you have any cakes?

好的,听起来很不错。你们这有蛋糕吗?

A: We have various birthday cakes and also ice cream cakes.

我们有各式的生日蛋糕和冰淇淋蛋糕。

B: I'll take a cheesecake.

我只要一个芝士蛋糕。

A: Will that be all?

就这么多了吗?

B: Yes.

是的。

A: Your total is ninety six dollars and sixty cents.

这些总共加起来是96.6美元。

B: OK. Can I pay by the credit card?

可以用信用卡支付吗?

A: Of course.

当然。

知识加油站

西式糕点知识大扫盲

西式糕点的起源:

古埃及、古希腊和古罗马是世界上较早开始制作面包和蛋糕的国家。古埃及有一幅绘画,展示了公元前1175年底比斯城的宫廷焙烤场面——有组织的烘焙作坊和模具在当时已经出现。据统计,当时古埃及帝国的面包和蛋糕品种已达16种之多。而古希腊则最早将甜味剂加入食品。早期糕点所用的甜味剂是蜂蜜,蜂蜜蛋糕香甜松软,曾一度风行欧洲。古希腊人还制作了一种嵌有葡萄和杏仁的塔(tart,果馅饼),这也许是最早的蛋塔。在古罗马时代,随着焙烤技术的进步,点心变得更加精致化,奶酪蛋糕便源于这一时期。

布丁类:

布丁(pudding)是一种冷冻的甜品,类似果冻,主要材料为鸡蛋。它是一种英国的传统食品。现在布丁的制作方法是由当时的撒克逊人所传授下来的。中世纪的修道院则把“水果和燕麦粥的混合物”称为“布丁”。这种布丁是在伊丽莎白一世时代出现的,它由肉汁、果汁、水果干及面粉一起调配制成。17世纪和18世纪的布丁用蛋、牛奶以及面粉为材料制作而成。

绿茶布丁:Green Tea Pudding

芒果布丁:Mango Pudding

香草布丁:Vanilla Pudding

焦糖布丁:Cream Caramel/Caramel Custard

蛋糕类:

蛋糕(cake)是一种古老的西点,一般用烤箱制作,以鸡蛋、白糖、小麦粉为主要原料,用牛奶、果汁、奶粉、香粉、色拉油、水、起酥油、泡打粉作为辅料,经过搅拌、调制、烘烤后制成的一种像海绵的点心。

黑森林蛋糕:Black Forest Cake

草莓奶酪蛋糕:Strawberry Cheese Cake

大理石奶酪蛋糕:Marble Cheese Cake

戚风蛋糕:Chiffon Cake

香草栗子蛋糕:Vanilla Chestnut Cake

慕斯类:

慕斯(mousse)是一种奶冻式甜点,可以直接吃或做蛋糕夹层。通常加入奶油与凝固剂来制造出浓稠冻状的效果,其性质较布丁更柔软,入口即化。制作慕斯最重要的是胶冻原料,如琼脂、鱼胶粉、果冻粉等,现在也有专门的慕斯粉。慕斯质地较为松软,因其使用的胶冻原料是动物胶,所以需要置于低温处存放。

卡布奇诺慕斯:Cappuccino Mousse

热情果慕斯:Passion Fruit Mousse

草莓慕斯:Strawberry Mousse

巧克力慕斯:Chocolate Mousse Ac6U4tZkEcN8P8pUnerjjkcHkH1j5se5AxpVWLBIHp07/c4bUViGoRl8M36Ke7E+

点击中间区域
呼出菜单
上一章
目录
下一章
×