购买
下载掌阅APP,畅读海量书库
立即打开
畅读海量书库
扫码下载掌阅APP
上帝的儿女都有翅膀
尤金·奥尼尔

ACT ONE 第一幕 第一场

SCENE ONE第一场

A corner in lower New York, at the edge of a colored districtThree narrow streets convergeA triangular building in the rear, red brick, four—storied, its ground floor a groceryFour—story tenements stretch away down the skyline of the two streetsThe fire escapes are crowded with peopleIn the street leading left, the faces are all white; in the street leading right, all blackIt is hot SpringOn the sidewalk are eight children, four boys and four girlsTwo of each sex are white, two blackThey are playing marblesOne of the black boys is Jim HarrisThe little blonde girl, her complexion rose and white, who sits behind his elbow and holds his marbles is Ella DowneyShe is eightThey play the game with concentrated attention for a whilePeople pass, black and white, the Negroes frankly participants in the spirit of Spring, the whites laughing constrainedly, awkward in natural emotionTheir words are lostOne hears only their laughterIt expresses the difference in raceThere are street noises—the clattering roar of the Elevated, the puff of its locomotives, the ruminative lazy sound of a horse—car, the hooves of its team clacking on the cobblesFrom the street of the whites a high—pitched, nasal tenor sings the chorus of "Only a Bird in a Gilded Cage. " On the street of the blacks a Negro strikes up the chorus of "I Guess I'll Have to Telegraph My Baby. " As this singing ends, there is laughter, distinctive in quality, from both streetsThen silenceThe light in the street begins to grow brilliant with the glow of the setting sunThe game of marbles goes on.

纽约下城,黑人区边缘的一个街角。三条狭窄的街道汇聚在一起。街道后面是一座三角形建筑,红色砖墙,共有四层,底层是家杂货店。一幢幢四层公寓沿着两条街道的轮廓线向两边延伸。太平梯上都挤满了人。通往左边的那条街上全是白人,而通向右边的街道上则皆为黑人。这是个炎热的春日。人行道上有八个孩子,四男四女。男孩和女孩中各有两个白人两个黑人。他们正在玩弹珠。黑人男孩中有个名叫吉姆·哈里斯。坐在他身后帮他拿着弹珠的金发白人小女孩叫埃拉·唐尼,皮肤粉嫩而白皙。她今年八岁。他们全神贯注地玩了一会儿弹珠。穿梭而过的行人中有黑人也有白人,黑人自在地享受着美好的春光,白人们则强作欢笑,表情显得不自然。人们听不清他们在说什么。只能听见他们的笑声。通过笑声可以区分出他们的种族。街道上满是嘈杂声——高架铁路的轰隆声,火车头的噗噗声,沉闷缓慢的马车声,以及马蹄踏在大卵石地面上发出的得得声。从白人街区传来高亢且带有鼻音的男高音,唱着《金丝笼中的孤鸟》的副歌部分。黑人街区则有一个黑人开始唱《我想我得给我的宝贝发个电报》的副歌部分。曲子终了时,从两个街区传来迥然不同的笑声。接着又安静下来。街道旁的路灯逐渐亮了起来,与夕阳的余晖交相辉映。孩子们继续着弹珠游戏。

WHITE GIRL—(tugging at the elbow of her brother) Come on, Mickey!

白人女孩——(拽着她哥哥的手臂)米基,快些!

HER BROTHER—(roughly) Aw, gwan, youse!

她的哥哥——(凶狠地)你给我滚开!

WHITE GIRL—Aw right, den. You kin git a lickin 'if you wanter. (gets up to move off)

你想挨打就随你吧。(起身离开。)

HER BROTHER—Aw, git off de eart '!

她的哥哥——哎呀,一边呆着去!

WHITE GIRL—De old woman'll be madder 'n hell!

白人女孩——再不回去老妈会气疯的。

HER BROTHER—(worried now) I 'm comin, ain't I? Hold your horses.

她的哥哥——(现在有些担心了)我这不是来了吗?慢点走。

BLACK GIRL—(to a black boy) Come on, you Joe. We gwine git frailed too, you don't hurry.

黑人女孩——(对着一个黑人男孩说)乔,走吧。再不走的话我们也要挨揍了。

JOE—Go long!

乔——走吧。

MICKEY—Bust up de game, huh? I gotta run! (jumps to his feet)

米基——今天就玩到这儿吧?我要走喽!(他从地上跳起。)

OTHER WHITE BOY—Me, too! (jumps up)

另一个白人男孩——我也要走喽!(跳起身来)

OTHER BLACK GIRL—Lawdy, it's late!

另一个黑人女孩——上帝啊,已经很晚了。

JOE—Me for grub!

乔——我该回去吃饭了。

MICKEY—(to Jim Harris) You's de winner, Jim Crow. Yeh gotta play tomorrer.

米基——(对吉姆·哈里斯)你赢了,黑乌鸦吉姆。明天再玩吧。

JIM—(readily) Sure t 'ing, Mick. Come one, come all! (He laughs. )

吉姆——(满心欢喜地)一言为定啊,米基。大家都要来噢!(他笑了起来。)

OTHER WHITE BOY—Me, too! I gotta git back at yuh.

另一个白人男孩——明天我也来!我要把珠子都赢回来。

JIM—Aw right, Shorty.

吉姆——好哇,矮个子。

LITTLE GIRLS—Hurry! Come on, come on! (The six start off together. Then they notice that Jim and Ella are hesitating, standing awkwardly and shyly together. They turn to mock. )

女孩们——快点啦!走吧,快走!(六个孩子们正要一起回家。但他们注意到吉姆和埃拉犹豫着,局促而羞涩地站在一起。大家开始窃笑。)

JOE—Look at dat Jim Crow! Land sakes, he got a gal! (He laughs. They all laugh. )

乔——大家快看黑乌鸦吉姆。看在上帝的份上,他有女朋友了!(他笑了起来。大家全都笑了。)

JIM—(ashamed) Ne 'er mind, you Chocolate!

吉姆——(害羞地)随便你说,你这黑鬼!

MICKEY—Look at de two softies, will yeh! Mush! Mush! (He and the two other boys take this up. )

米基——快看这两个胆小鬼哟!亲一口!亲一口!(他和其他两个男孩开始起哄。)

LITTLE GIRLS—(pointing their fingers at Ella) Shame! Shame! Everybody knows your name! Painty Face! Painty Face!

小女孩们——(一同指着埃拉)不要脸!不要脸!大家都知道你的名字了!花脸蛋!花脸蛋!

ELLA—(hanging her head) Shut up!

埃拉——(低着头)别叫了!

LITTLE WHITE GIRL—He's been carrying her books!

白人小女孩——他一直帮她拿书呢!

COLORED GIRL—Can't you find nuffin 'better' n him, Ella? Look at de big feet he got! (She laughs. They all laugh. Jim puts one foot on top of the other, looking at Ella. )

黑人女孩——埃拉,你就不能找个比他好点的男孩么?看看他的大脚!(她笑了起来。大家也都笑了。吉姆一只脚搭在另一只脚上,看着埃拉。)

ELLA—Mind yer own business, see! (She strides toward them angrily. They jump up and dance in an ecstasy, screaming and laughing. )

埃拉——不用你管!(她生气地朝他们大步走去。他们兴奋地跳跃着,手舞足蹈,大笑大叫。)

ALL—Found yeh out! Found yeh out!

所有人——发现你们的秘密喽!发现你们的秘密喽!

MICKEY—Mush—head! Jim Crow de Sissy! Stuck on Painty Face!

米基——大笨蛋!黑乌鸦吉姆胆小鬼!爱上了花脸蛋!

JOE—Will Painty Face let you hold her doll, boy?

乔——花脸蛋会让你碰她的娃娃吗,哥们?

SHORTY—Sissy! Softy! (Ella suddenly begins to cry. At this they all howl. )

矮个子——娘娘腔!胆小鬼!(埃拉突然哭了起来。大家看见她哭了便都开始起哄。)

ALL—Cry—baby! Cry—baby! Look at her! Painty Face!

所有人——爱哭鬼!爱哭鬼!瞧瞧她!花脸蛋!

JIM—(suddenly rushing at them, with clenched fists, furiously) Shut yo 'moufs! I kin lick de hull of you!

吉姆——(猛然冲向他们,紧握拳头,愤怒地)都给我闭嘴!我一脚就能把你们踢飞!

(They all run away, laughing, shouting, and jeering, quite triumphant now that they have made him, too, lose his temperHe comes back to Ella, and stands beside her sheepishly, stepping on one foot after the otherSuddenly he blurts out) Don't bawl no more. I done chased 'em.

(大家一哄而散,大笑着,叫嚷着,嘲笑着,变得得意洋洋,因为此刻吉姆也被他们激怒了。他回到埃拉身边,羞怯地站着,轮番用一只脚蹭着另一只。突然他蹦出一句)别哭了。我已经把他们赶跑了。

ELLA—(comforted, politely) Tanks.

埃拉——(感到欣慰,礼貌地)谢谢。

JIM—(swelling out) It was a cinch. I kin wipe up de street wid any one of dem. (He stretches out his arms, trying to bulge out his biceps. ) Feel dat muscle!

吉姆——(得意洋洋地)没什么。这条街上任何一个人我都能修理。(他伸出臂膀,想要展示他的肌肉。)来摸摸我那肌肉!

ELLA—(does so gingerly—then with admiration) My!

埃拉——(小心翼翼——接着无比崇拜地)我的天哪!

JIM—(protectingly) You mustn't never be scared when I 'm hanging round, Painty Face.

吉姆——(想要保护人的样子)花脸蛋,只要我在,你就永远都不用害怕。

ELLA—Don't call me that, Jim—please!

埃拉——拜托了,吉姆,请别叫我那个名字!

JIM—(contritely) I didn't mean nuffin’. I didn't know you'd mind.

吉姆——(懊悔地)我不是故意的。我没意识到你不喜欢这称呼。

ELLA—I do—more 'n anything.

埃拉——确实不喜欢——我最不喜欢别人这么叫我了。

JIM—You oughtn't to mind. Dey's jealous, dat's what.

吉姆——你不必介意。他们只是嫉妒你,仅此而已。

ELLA—Jealous? Of what?

埃拉——嫉妒?嫉妒我什么?

JIM—(pointing to her face) Of dat. Red 'n' white. It's purty.

吉姆——(指着她的脸蛋)嫉妒这个。白里透红。美丽动人。

ELLA—I hate it!

埃拉——我恨我的脸蛋。

JIM—It's purty.

吉姆——你的脸蛋很美。

Yes, it 's—it's purty. It' s—outa sight!

是的,它——它真的很美。简直——无与伦比!

ELLA—I hate it. I wish I was black like you.

埃拉——我恨它。我希望自己跟你一样是黑皮肤。

JIM—(sort of shrinking) No you don't. Dey'd call you Crow, den—or Chocolate—or Smoke.

吉姆——(退缩了一下)不,你不会喜欢的。他们会叫你黑乌鸦,还有——巧克力——或是小黑炭。

ELLA—I wouldn't mind.

埃拉——我不会介意的。

JIM—(somberly) Dey'd call you nigger sometimes, too.

吉姆——(闷闷不乐地)他们偶尔也会叫你黑鬼。

ELLA—I wouldn't mind.

埃拉——我也不会介意的。

JIM—(humbly) You wouldn't mind?

吉姆——(谦卑地)你真的不介意?

ELLA—No, I wouldn't mind. (an awkward pause)

埃拉——当然了。(尴尬的停顿)

JIM—(suddenly) You know what, Ella? Since I been tuckin 'yo' books to school and back, I been drinkin 'lots o' chalk 'n' water tree times a day. Dat Tom, de barber, he tole me dat make me white, if I drink enough. (pleadingly) Does I look whiter?

吉姆——(突然说)你知道吗,埃拉?自打我上学放学路上帮你拿书起,我每天都喝三次白灰水。汤姆,那个理发师,他跟我说只要我喝得够多,我就能变白。(恳求地)我看上去白点了吗?

ELLA—(comfortingly) Yes—maybe—a little bit—

埃拉——(安慰地)有吧——好像——白了一丁点儿——

JIM—(trying a careless tone) Reckon dat Tom's a liar, an 'de joke's on me! Dat chalk only makes me feel kinder sick inside.

吉姆——(尝试用一种无所谓的口吻)那就当汤姆是个骗子,只是拿我开心罢了!那些白灰只能让我的肚子不舒服而已。

ELLA—(wonderingly) Why do you want to be white?

埃拉——(疑惑地)你为什么想要变白?

JIM—Because—just because—I lak dat better.

吉姆——因为——只是因为——我更喜欢白色吧。

ELLA—I wouldn't.

埃拉——我不喜欢白色。

I like black. Let's you and me swap. I'd like to be black. (clapping her hands) Gee, that'd be fun, if we only could!

我喜欢黑色。咱们交换吧。我想要变成黑皮肤。(双手合十)哎呀,如果能那样的话,该多有意思呀。

JIM—(hesitatingly) Yes—maybe—

吉姆——(犹豫地)也许——是吧——

ELLA—Then they'd call me Crow, and you'd be Painty Face!

埃拉——那样他们都会叫我黑乌鸦,叫你花脸蛋了!

JIM—They wouldn't never dast call you nigger, you bet! I'd kill 'em ! (A long pauseFinally she takes his hand shylyThey both keep looking as far away from each other as possible. )

吉姆——他们一定会叫你黑鬼的,一定会!我会杀了他们!(长时间的停顿。最后她羞涩地牵起他的手。他们都尽力回避对方的眼神。)

ELLA—I like you.

埃拉——我喜欢你。

JIM—I like you.

吉姆——我也喜欢你。

ELLA—Do you want to be my feller?

埃拉——你愿意成为我的男朋友么?

JIM—Yes.

吉姆——我愿意。

ELLA—Then I 'm your girl.

埃拉——那我就是你女朋友了。

JIM—Yes. (then grandly) You kin bet none o 'de gang gwine call you Painty Face from dis out! I lam'’ em good! (The sun has setTwilight has fallen on the streetAn organ grinder comes up to the corner and plays "Annie Rooney. " They stand hand—in—hand and listenHe goes awayIt is growing dark. )

吉姆——是的。(然后郑重其事地)再不会有人敢叫你花脸蛋了!否则我会好好揍他们一顿!(太阳已经下山。夕阳余晖洒满街道。一位手摇风琴艺人来到街角开始演奏《安妮·鲁尼》。他们俩站在一起,手牵着走,聆听这首曲子。手摇风琴艺人渐渐走远。夜幕也开始降临。)

ELLA—(suddenly) Golly, it's late! I'll git a lickin '!

埃拉——(突然地)天哪,已经很晚了。我要挨打了!

JIM—Me, too.

吉姆——我也是。

ELLA—I won't mind it much.

埃拉——但我不怕。

JIM—Me nuther.

吉姆——我也不怕。

ELLA—See you going to school tomorrow?

埃拉——那我们明天上学路上见?

JIM—Sure.

吉姆——好的。

ELLA—I gotta skip now.

埃拉——我得走了。

JIM—Me, too.

吉姆——我也得走了。

ELLA—I like you, Jim.

埃拉——我喜欢你,吉姆。

JIM—I like you.

吉姆——我也喜欢你。

ELLA—Don't forget.

埃拉——别忘了。

JIM—Don't you.

吉姆——你也别忘了。

ELLA—Good—by.

埃拉——再见。

JIM—So long.

吉姆——再见。

(They run away from each other—then stop abruptly, and turn as at a signal. )

(他们俩分头跑开——又都突然停住,像是得到了什么信号似的。)

ELLA—Don't forget.

埃拉——别忘了。

JIM—I won't, you bet!

吉姆——我保证,一定不会忘的!

ELLA—Here! (She kisses her hand at him, then runs off in frantic embarrassment. )

埃拉——看这里。(她朝他飞吻了一下,羞红了脸,掉头跑开了。)

JIM—(overcome) Gee! (Then he turns and darts away, asThe Curtain Falls)

吉姆——(神魂颠倒地)哟!(他转过身奔跑着离开了。幕落) 2SUEtnZnhx1D9uvt98nSPuY/sNRDNAdcP/hgp0BHdES9bxCiWCdjKfN9yCDXlymz

点击中间区域
呼出菜单
上一章
目录
下一章
×